Everyone desires to be healthy. Sometimes it is difficult, especially when you crave foods that aren’t good for you. Some people crave for sweets, others for salted fried snacks. Then we have the cola addicts, who must have their regular quota everyday or they go into depression. The cigarette, alcohol and chocolate lovers are a breed apart. It takes a lot of discipline to get over these addictions. You may sincerely desire to give up these cravings but you may discover that you remain powerless to the demands of your taste buds. Which of the following is the point that the author is trying to make?
- a. Many people lack the will power to get over their addictions.
- b. People can’t help eating what appeals to their taste buds even if it is bad for them.
- c. People are not eating healthy and need to get over their cravings for junk foods.
- d. Even if one wants to eat healthy one can not do so because of being addicted
- e. The first step towards healthy eating is to stop eating foods that aren’t good for you.
- Answer: D
Last year, a proactive initiative by the state government to publish the answer sheets, backfired when students discovered discrepancies in the way the questions had been marked. They found that in one paper, a student who hadn’t attempted all the questions, still got cent per cent score and in a few others the tally of marks didn’t add up. Following this embarrassment, the state government decided against publishing a similar booklet this year. Some students and teachers are of the view that the booklet should be published.Which of the following is the best reason for publishing the booklet?
- a. Students of the succeeding batches can learn how top scorers attempt
- b. Students of the succeeding batches can learn how the question papers are evaluated
- c. Students of the succeeding batches can observe the way in which the answers are presented.
- d. Students of the succeeding batches can get motivated to take more interest in the way they attempt the question paper
- e. It can act as a sample question-answer bank for students.
- Answer: A
I had been meaning to go to Basic for over two weeks. The thought of being able to choose from a wide range of sandwiches was immensely appealing. It is a simple unpretentious place. Just like the food and its owner. In fact I can use the same words to describe all three; light, unique, quiet, simple and unpretentious. As I scanned the menu I noticed that it had been very reasonably priced. And when you combine it with the offers they have got, it ends up being very pocket friendly. Who from among the following is most likely to frequent the place?
- a. Ann – she is a working woman who loves to go out with her family for dinners for a change
- b. Adam – a businessman who has to discusses business with clients, mostly over a cup of coffee in a public place
- c. Sam – he is a college going boy who very often eats out with friends
- d. Andy – she loves to eat by herself in places where she can read books while munching on her favoutire snacks
- e. Sammy – he plans to taste the sandwiches available in all shops of the city
- Answer: D
Many children today are losing the charm of fairytales. They grow too quickly and the tales of fairies, princes and princesses are as unknown to them as their old age home grandparents. They make children more aware of sentiments. Fairytales are like childhood itself, a happy innocent and pure childhood where dreams aren’t under the pressure of deadlines. Hence, instead of becoming escapists, they are a kind of platform upon which dreams of tomorrow can be built. All fairytales have a happy ending which teaches a child that finally it is goodness that wins. Moreover they inspire to be hopeful even in the worst situations. Fairytales are more than true – not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten. Which of the following is the best impact that fairy tales have on children?
- a. Fairytales give an outlet to a child’s imagination and fantasies.
- b. They are like a balm for the child psychology and relaxes them
- c. They are a child’s first step into the world of literature.
- d. By establishing the importance of goodness they nurture sensitivity and finer emotions.
- e. By emphasizing the importance of goodness, most fairytales teach the realities of life
- Answer: E
Online mapping systems that permit a user to mark a particular place are becoming quiet a rage these days as people all over the globe are using it to mark out their favourite places. This trend probably began with the Yahoo Maps when parents would check out the university, neighborhood when their children went abroad for studies. Today internet users can choose from options like Google Earth and WikiMapia. Which of the following is the most suitable criticism of the technology presented in the above paragraph?
- a. The images are not clear enough
- b. The maps can not be used by a person who is new to the city
- c. The local areas are not marked in the maps
- d. Most maps can not be properly printed and hence can not be consulted when most required
- e. The maps cannot be used to locate a place one has not been to
- Answer: D
States of depression do not just happen. There is a clear co-relation between nutritional deficiencies and mental health. Depression is actually one of the early signs of nutritional depletion. Diseases begin when the body begins to get imbalanced. The imbalances can be identified and corrected with proper food, herbs and vitamins. Besides oxygen, clean water, we need proper food that nourishes our body and brains. What does the author want to convey?
- a. Right food can help people with mental illnesses recover
- b. people who suffer from depression should change their eating habits
- c. one can cure diseases by eating the correct food
- d. nutritional deficiencies lead to mental imbalance
- e. right food is important to remain mentally healthy
- Answer: D
Aman – I need to take a break. I can feel the effect of stress due to office work on my health. Ara – You must go and see a doctor. Which of the following conversations is similar to the one mentioned above?
- a. Sam – I want to go finish my work before this weekend, so I can enjoy it. Sammy – You will have to work overtime for doing that.
- b. Sunny – I think you must go to the party. You will get to meet a lot of new people who you can do business with. Nic – I don’t think I shall enjoy myself there.
- c. Ali – Give me a reason for not coming over to my house today. All – There is only one reason and that I can not tell you now. I shall clarify later.
- d. Mike – I want to give a little portion of my salary for charity. I need to be more sensitive towards society.Niki – You must surf the net to see how you can help the society.
- e. Simi – Cheer up, you should not be so touchy about her behaviour. She generally behaves like this when she is angry. Sally – I think it will take me another day to get over this.
- Answer: D
Over the last couple of months, many people can be seen wearing bug sunglasses. Fashion critics say that it was Mike Grand who started this trend but teens argue that it is for a good reason that they are imitating the look. Says Sana, a fashion student, “One reason that bug sunglasses have gotten so popular is because they protect the skin around the eyes. Suns rays can be really harsh and big shades really help.” This trend is not only limited to girls. Even boys these days have no apprehensions about wearing oversized shades. Teenage boys fell that they are making a fashion statement. Which of the following is the most appropriate title for this?
- a. Shades That Protect
- b. Protect Your Eyes This Summer
- c. Bug Sunglasses- Hottest Accessory for Teens
- d. Bug Sunglasses-for Protection and Fashion
- e. Bug Sunglasses – More Than Just a Fashion Accessory
- Answer: D
Today’s work force has a new set of values. Ten years ago a manager who was offered a promotion in a distant city would not have questioned the move. Today a manager in that same situation might choose family happiness instead of career advancement. Which one of the following is the most significant assumption made by the author?
- a. Ten years back people were more conscious about morals
- b. People are more attached to their families now
- c. Ten years back promotions were more important than family happiness
- d. The members of a family need to be together to be happy
- e. A promotion is a way of luring an employee to post him to a distant city
- Answer: D
The markets are flooded with a new crop of personal computers that emphasize the personal. With attention to form, texture and materials, these machines are intended to make a statement about their owners, much the way an elegant wristwatch, the cut and make of a fine suit or a stylish car can suggest taste and social status. These PCs meant as much to be seen as to be used. Which of the following statements best criticizes the new product?
- a. These computers are costlier than other computers
- b. They are best suited for people who are very fashion conscious
- c. It turns out to be a piece of decoration as its features are limited
- d. The computers do not offer anything new in terms of technology
- e. Professionals prefer the old formal look of computers as they do not want to reveal their personal side in their profession
- Answer: C
The market is flooded with a huge range of home furnishing products for children. Most of these are designed with the latest and most popular cartoon characters. Which of the following is most suitable assumption on which the trend is based?
- a. Children love cartoons.
- b. People are paying more attention to decorating their children’s rooms according to their taste.
- c. Rooms furnished with products depicting cartoon characters help in keeping children happy and cheerful
- d. Since the number of cartoons on TV are ever increasing, it is important to have the latest cartoon products for sale
- e. Designing products according to the likings of the customers results in better sales.
- Answer: D
The Puffins Good Reading Guide for Children is a treasure trove. Apart from an introduction by Ruskin Bond and his list of favourite books, the rook offers a methodical offering of all the books one could read. The highlight is its attitude to reading. It dismisses the popular myth that one should read only classics and ancient ones at all. So the book acts as eye opener not only for children but also for adults. Which of the following is most attractive feature of the book?
- a. The introduction by Ruskin Bond.
- b. It appeals to both adults and children.
- c. It lists all good books which a beginner should read.
- d. It can be used by even those who have been reading for a long time.
- e. It inspires the reader to read books as it even lists the dos and donts of the hobby
- Answer: D