MTTC English Test
All about MTTC English
Michigan Test for Teacher Certification or MTTC is an exam administered for identifying the candidates who possess the ability and knowledge to become teachers. The English test of MTTC is one of the tests and is mandatory if you want to become an English teacher in Michigan.
About the Test…
- The English is a subject area test and the time duration for it is 2&1/2 hours.
- The following are the sub-areas tested in it:
- Meaning and Communication-20% of the questions fall under this category.
- Skills and Processes- 24% of the questions are from this sub-area
- Literature and Understanding- 26% of the questions fall under this sub-area
- Genre and Craft of Language- 30% of the questions fall under this category.
- Only multiple-choice questions are administered in this test.
- In total, there are 100 questions in the test.
- To take up the English test, you must have a bachelor’s degree from a state or a national university, must possess subject specialization from a state approved university and must be 21 years of age or above.
- If you are an out of state candidate, then you must have three years of teaching experience to get the Michigan Department of Education credentials.
- Along with this test, you must also pass the Basic Skills Test which is composed of three subtests: Math, Writing and Reading.
- There are three registration modes available: Internet registration (can be used during the regular, late and emergency registration periods), Phone-in registration (can be used during the emergency registration period alone) and U.S. Mail registration (can be used during the regular and late registration periods).
- The registration fee for the English test is $73.
- This is a paper-based test and is available five times in a year in the months of October, November, January, April and July.
- The scores for the test are released as scaled scores and are based on the number of correct answers you have given to the questions.
- The range of the scaled scores is from 100 to 300 and the minimum score required to pass the English test is 220.
- Your performance is evaluated against an established standard and not against your fellow examinees.
- There is no negative marking for incorrect answers.
- Your performance in each sub-area of the test is reported as follows:
- If you have answered most of the questions correctly you will be allotted four stars (++++)
- If you have answered many of the questions correctly, then you will be allotted three stars (+++)
- If you have answered only some of the questions correctly, you will be awarded two stars (++)
- If you have answered a few or none of the questions correctly, you will be awarded one star (+)
- Since you will know the areas where you have performed badly from the report, you can concentrate more on these topics when you prepare for the test the next time.
- Your scores in the English test will be sent to the Michigan Department of Education and the institutions you have specified during the registration process.
- You can reappear for the test as many times as you wish and your test scores are valid for five years.
- There are many study materials available for this test preparation. Also, free practice tests are available which can be used for understanding your strengths and weaknesses.
- It is best that you draft a study schedule and use it for the test preparation. By doing this, you can know about the progress you are making.
If your aim is to become an English teacher in Michigan, then you must pass the English test. This is a simple test if you prepare thoroughly for it and you can use the information provided in this article to learn about the test and start preparing for it sincerely.