GMAT Math Tips
The math section of GMAT depends on arithmetic, algebra and basic concepts of geometry. It has two types of questions: Problem Solving and Data Sufficiency. A few tips are listed below:
- The problem solving section is designed to test your knowledge of elementary Math. Hence, revise your concepts of Math.
- Revise the elementary Math formulae.
- Your reasoning ability is tested in this section. Therefore, practice solving questions based on quantitative reasoning.
- Most of the problems can be solved using shortcuts. So learn them and do not hesitate to use them as often as possible.
- The difficulty level increases with each correct answer. Therefore, solve the easier questions quickly.
- Do not just calculate in your mind. Make adequate use of scratch paper for calculations and drawing diagrams.
- Always read the question properly. This way you will not commit obvious mistakes.
- Practice as much as possible. Success in the math section purely depends on how much practice you do.
Tips for High GMAT Scores
The fixed pattern exams like GMAT require a standardized approach. It is not a test of your memory but how fast you can process the given information and find the correct answer. Therefore, tips for this exam will especially help you plan your study and achieve your dream score in the available time. There are many websites that offer suggestions and you must make full use of them. They save your preparation time and help you attempt the question paper correctly. The following are a few test-taking strategies that prove to be very helpful:
- Learn the exam pattern seriously. This way you will know what to expect.
- Prepare a study plan according to the time available and set a practical target for the test.
- Get hold of adequate and correct study materials.
- If possible, join a coaching institute or an online course.
- Study all the basic concepts required for each section of the exam.
- Practice all possible question types thoroughly.
- Collect sample test papers available online.
- Study regularly and solve enough sample questions on every section.
- Take mock tests to judge the level of your preparation. Take special efforts to improve your weak areas.
- Do not study till the last minute before the exam.
- Take a good night’s sleep before the test.
- Dress up suitably for the exam.
- Do not leave any answer choice blank.