The Best Way to Study from a GHSGT Book
A book is an important study resource for students preparing for the GHSGT examination. A good study guide will cover all the aspects of this examination (both administrative and content- related) in detail. A study book has the capacity to shape a student’s preparation to achieve the best possible outcome in an examination, provided the student utilizes it in a way in which it can be beneficial to him/her to the maximum possible extent.
Popular GHSGT Review Books
- The Official GHSGT Review BooksThe official test website (http://www.doe.k12.ga.us/Curriculum-Instruction-and-assessment/Assessment/Pages/GHSGT.aspx) contains hyperlinks to resources, which include study guides, content description guides, score interpretation guides, and other relevant resources. Each of these books is a complete reference guide by itself, on the specific content area it deals with. As these books are published by the official team itself, one can expect them to be authoritative regarding the content areas that they deal with. One should consider these books as the primary source of preparation for the test.
- Kaplan Ultimate Georgia High School Graduation TestKaplan is a trusted name in the academic circles, and their books seem to be one of the best review books for this examination. Written by Cynthia Johnson, an award winning author, this book explains the content areas very well, and also offers adequate practice materials and test taking tips.
- Books Written Individually For the Different Content AreasSome guides focus on individual content areas. As these are dedicated to a single content area, one can expect to gain exam-centric in-depth knowledge, which is very important to perform well in the test.
Here is a list of some of these books:
- The GADOE Social Studies Student GHSGT Guide GPS Version(http://archives.gadoe.org/DMGetDocument.aspx/GHSGT%20Social%20Studies%20GPS%20Student%20Guide%20Final%2001.07.10.pdf?p=6CC6799F8C1371F63D37BFD15B6331CEFE082E0526D3DDFBB9126D2BFD89C03C&Type=D)
- Research & Education Association’s Georgia GHSGT (Georgia High School Graduation Test) Mathematics 3rd Edition(http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/georgia-ghsgt-mel-friedman-ms/1114718626)
- Research & Education Association’s Georgia GHSGT ELA & GHSWT Writing with Online Practice Tests(http://www.barnesandnoble.com/sample/read/9780738668055)
- American Book Company’s Passing the Georgia High School Graduation Test in Science: Written to GPS Standards(http://www.amazon.com/Passing-Georgia-School-Graduation-Science/dp/1598071378)
Apart from in-depth subject matter knowledge, these books also contain adequate number of GHSGT practice question papers.
Studying from a GHSGT Review Book
There is no dearth of good guides today. However, the ability to select the best review book available for one’s purpose and the ability to derive maximum benefit from it, determine the usefulness of a book.
Here are some rules to follow when studying from books:
- Follow your book thoroughly, without omitting portions. Overconfidence should not make you overlook easy content areas, and boredom or fear should not make you overlook the difficult content areas. This is because all content areas of the examination are important and there is equal probability of facing questions from the sections that you have omitted. You should remember that lack of practice will adversely affect your command over the easy portions. You should get the difficult portions clarified with the help of subject matter experts.
- Take a systematic approach towards studying from the resources you have chosen. Using a book in a haphazard manner is going to result in the achievement of adverse results. You must set daily realistic goals of preparation and ensure that you cover them by the end of the day.
- Take the practice tests in a timed manner. An effective book will have practice tests, which need to be attempted in a timed manner to ensure that the student gets used to the test time duration, to enable the student to effortlessly answer all the questions of the test in the given time period.
- Learn the testing strategies provided well. Most guides provide effective preparation and test-taking strategies, which one can follow to gain command over the question paper.
Even with the best guide, one cannot expect to achieve much, unless one puts the right effort in utilizing it. Hence, with the correct effort, one can hope to achieve good results by using the best resources, as these are focused on the test, from different angles.