Physical Education Test of CSET
What You Must Know about CSET Physical Education
CSET or California Subject Examinations for Teachers is a test administered to determine whether candidates have the knowledge and skills to become teachers. There are five categories of the test and Single Subject test is one of them. Each category is made up of subtests and the subtests are made up of domains.
This is one of the subject specializations available in Single Subject exam and in this article we shall learn about the details of this subject.
Subtests in Physical Education
- Subtest I comprises of two domains: Growth, Motor Development, and Motor Learning and The Science of Human Movement
- Subtest II comprises of three domains: The Sociology and Psychology of Human Movement, Movement Concepts and Forms and Assessment and Evaluation Principles
- Subtest III comprises of two domains: Professional Foundations and Integration of Concepts
Both multiple-choice and constructed-response questions are asked in this examination.
- Each domain of the subtest I comprises of 20 multiple-choice questions and 1 constructed-response question, making the total number of multiple-choice questions to 40 and the constructed-response questions to 2.
- There are 10, 24 and 6 multiple-choice questions and 1, 1, 0 constructed-response questions in the domains 1, 2 and 3 of the subtest II respectively, making a total of 40 multiple-choice questions and 2 constructed-response questions.
- In the subtest III, domain 1 consists of only 16 multiple-choice questions and domain 2 consists of 24 multiple-choice questions and 1 constructed-response questions. The total number of questions in this domain is are 40 multiple-choice questions and 1 constructed-response question.
- For the domains 1 and 2, the constructed-response questions are short and focused, while for domain 3, they are of the extended type.
Subtests 1 and 3 contain video-taped constructed-response questions where examinees have to view a video and answer the questions in response to the same.
Format and Test Dates
The Physical Education exam is available only in the paper-based format. The test dates are available once in the months of September, January, March, and May.
The duration of one session is five hours and you can attempt to take all the three subtests of Physical Education in one session or you can opt to take the subtests on different dates.
Test Registration and Test Fees
The test registration can be done either by online registration or by phone-in registration. Online registration can be done during the regular, late and emergency periods, while the phone-in registration can be done during the late and emergency periods. The test fee is $69 per subtest and this can be paid by credit, debit or check card.
Based on the number of correct responses in the multiple-choice section and constructed-response section, a raw score is awarded. This raw score is multiplied with the pre-assigned weight of that particular subtest. The resultant score is called the scaled score and it falls in the range of 200 to 300. The minimum passing score is 220. The individual subtests can be passed separately and once you have passed a subtest, you need not attempt it again.
In California, to be a teacher, you have to possess certain credentials and passing this test is one such credential. If you pass this exam, you can teach physical education in middle and secondary school level.
Preparation is essential for this test. Many good books and other resources for study are available in conventional book stores and online book storesfor this purpose. Moreover, good ebooks, practice tests and other study materials are available online and many of them are free of cost. You can use these materials to prepare for the test.
If your aim is to become a physical education instructor in California, you have to pass this particular test. The first step in preparing for it is to learn everything about the exam and then start preparing for it effectively.