5 Things you Need to Know About Sentence Skills ACCUPLACER
The ACCUPLACER is a computer-based test that determines the college readiness of the students and enables the academic counselors and advisors in choosing suitable courses for the test takers based on their skills.
When it comes to Sentence Skills section of ACCUPLACER test, there are 20 multiple-choice questions that are to be answered by the students. The basic intention of this section is to assess the knowledge of the students about an appropriate sentence structure and those elements that create a complete sentence. Besides this, the students must also identify a sentence that is easily comprehensible by the readers.
What are the five most important things that the test takers must know about this section? Let us analyze them in the following points:
- The questions in this section are divided into two categories and they are of multiple-choice types with no restriction of time.
- The first category of question deals with sentence correction in which, the students have to choose the most appropriate word or phrase for the underlined part that may be incorrect in the sentence. In order to answer these questions correctly, the test takers must have adequate knowledge about sentence structure.
- The second category of question in this segment requires the students to rewrite the original sentence without changing its meaning and essence. Thus, there is a slight change in the construction of the sentence, but not the meaning.
- The second and third points describe the basic principles on which the questions are based in this section of ACCUPLACER test. In short, keeping this as the basic norm, the questions tend to vary according to the proficiencies that are tested through this section.
- The other types of questions require the students to find out the reason behind the principle of sentences, the relationship that exists between coordination and subordination or whether the answer that is provided has an appropriate sentence structure or not.
The links to sample questions for the primary category of Sentence Skills test that we have discussed above can be noted below:
- http://media.collegeboard.com/digitalServices/pdf/accuplacer/accuplacer-iphone-app.pdf ( for iPhone users)
The aspirants of ACCUPLACER need to strengthen their preparation for this test by following the study guides that mostly comprise of practice tests and two of them are mentioned in the points below:
- For sample questions of this section, the students can access http://www.aims.edu/student/testing/studyguides/engstudy.pdf that is prepared by the English Faculty of Aims Community College.
- The Sample questions of Study Guide Zone are also useful for preparation of Sentence Skills section. The students can visit http://www.studyguidezone.com/accuplacer_sentenceskills.htm for details.
The Sentence Skills test prepares the test takers for choosing their preferred courses in English for pursuing their college education.