Like this Page
CLICK this button to recommend this page to Google.
TOEFL Writing Tips
Invaluable Tips for TOEFL Writing Test
TOEFL test is necessary to get admission in colleges and universities in foreign countries. The Internet-based TOEFL (iBT) includes four sections: Reading, Listening, Speaking and Writing tests. The Paper-based TOEFL (PBT) includes four sections: The Listening Comprehension test, the Structure and Written Expression test, the Reading Comprehension test and the Test of Written English.
Almost all the universities and colleges admit only those candidates who have good TOEFL scores. You can excel in the TOEFL test only if you prepare well. The last section of the TOEFL iBT test is the Writing test. The Writing section is used to evaluate your skills of writing in English. Improving your English writing skills will help you achieve an excellent score in the Writing test and ultimately puts a positive impact on your final TOEFL scores. This article provides a few tips for the TOEFL iBT Writing test. The TOEFL writing tips given below will help you achieve a very good score in the TOEFL iBT Writing test.
Know about the Tasks in the TOEFL iBT Writing Test
One of the most important TOEFL Writing tips is to know about the number of questions or tasks involved in the TOEFL Writing test. The TOEFL iBT Writing test is a 50 minutes test comprising two questions or tasks.
- Integrated Writing Task - The first question is an Integrated Writing task that requires you to write essay responses based on the given text passage you read and the audio lecture you listen.
- Independent Writing Task - The second question is an Independent Writing task that requires you to write an essay in support of your opinion and knowledge about an issue.
Prepare Well for the TOEFL iBT Writing Test
Prepare well for the test using the best TOEFL practice guides, sample questions and practice tests. The Educational Testing Service (ETS) offers many free as well as paid TOEFL preparation materials that can help you prepare well for the Writing test. The TOEFL® Value Packs, The Official Guide to the TOEFL® Test, Third Edition, The TOEFL® Practice Online, TOEFL® Resources: An Overview for Students (Flash) and sample questions available at the ETS website (http://www.ets.org/toefl/ibt/prepare/) will be very useful to prepare effectively for the writing test.
Improve your English Writing Skills
Improve your English writing skills by developing your English vocabulary, grammar, pronunciation, thought organizing, and sentence structuring skills. You can improve our English language skills using the Skill-building tools available at the ETS website http://www.ets.org/toefl/ibt/prepare/. The web-based interactive program called Writing in English that is available at the ETS website helps you in writing flawless, crisp and correct English using new words and common expressions without making grammatical errors.
Tips for Answering the Integrated Writing Task
The following TOEFL Writing tips should help you answer well for the first question or the Integrated Writing task of the TOEFL iBT Writing test.
- Carefully read the 230-300 words short text or passage and listen to the 230-300 words long lecture.
- Note down the key points when you read the short text or passage from the screen, and when you listen to the audio lecture.
- Use your notes and write a response essay of at least 150 to 225 words by summarizing and explaining the significant points of the listening passage in relation to the significant points of the reading passage.
- Try to write an interesting essay by combining the information and ideas given in the reading and listening passages using impressive words and grammatical structures.
Tips for Answering the Integrated Writing Task
The following TOEFL Writing tips will help you to answer well for the second question or the Independent Writing task of the TOEFL iBT Writing test.
- Read the given essay question about a topic or issue carefully.
- Note down the important points which arise in your mind after reading the essay question.
- Write an effective essay of at least 300 words in response to the given essay question.
- Explain your opinion or knowledge about the issue when writing the essay.
- Give supporting points for your opinion about the issue correctly.
- Give reasons, specific details and personal experiences to support your answer for the essay question and strengthen your essay.
If you are thinking to prepare and score well for the TOEFL Writing test, ensure that you follow all the above invaluable TOEFL Writing tips.
Terms and Conditions
Information published in TestPrepPractice.net is provided for informational and educational purpose alone for deserving students, researchers and academicians. Though our volunteers take great amount of pain and spend significant time in validating the veracity of the information or study material presented here, we cannot be held liable for any incidental mistakes. All rights reserved. No information or study material in this web site can be reproduced or transmitted in any form, without our prior consent. However the study materials and web pages can be linked from your web site or web page for
- Academic purposes
No permission is required to link any of the web page with educational information available in this web site from your web site or web page