TOEFL Testing Centres
Things to Keep In Mind When You Select TOEFL Testing Centres
Before you decide to work or study in an English speaking country, you have to prove your competency in the English language. One such test which is internationally recognised as an English-language test is Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). While it is important to take TOEFL for immigration purpose, it is also the colleges and universities which require the scores for admissions. TOEFL testing centres are available in more than 165 countries thus providing a large and diverse applicant pool for the institutions to achieve their admission goals for potential candidates.
More about TOEFL
TOEFL is available in two formats
- TOEFL iBT- This is administered via the internet
- TOEFL PBT- This is administered as a paper-based test
The test sections in TOEFL iBT are Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking while the test sections in TOEFL PBT are Reading, Listening, Structure and Written expression and the Writing test.
TOEFL iBT is administered 30-40 times in a year on fixed dates at more than 4,500 authorized TOEFL testing centres around the world but in areas where this online facility is not available, the TOEFL testing centres offer paper-based tests.
Things to Keep in Mind When You Select TOEFL Testing Centres
- Unlike the TOEFL iBT, TOEFL testing centres offering the paper-based test conduct it only six times in a year. So, the format which you take will depend on your choice of test centre.
- All the TOEFL testing centres start their registration as early as 3-4 months before the test date; hence, you should register as early as possible to reserve your seat. While you can register for your test date by other means such as mail etc, online registration is the fastest.
- Usually registrations follow a deadline which is seven days before the test date and if you are doing a late registration make sure it is at least three days before the test date after which you will have to pay the late fees.
- You should keep checking the official website for updated TOEFL testing centres.
- If the candidate is disabled or has health-related needs, the concerned TOEFL testingcentre will make the necessary arrangements, provided the candidate meets the ETS disability requirements.
- Last but not the least, no TOEFL testing centres will allow walk-in registration.
Selecting Your Test Centre
To know more about the different TOEFL testing centres in your country, the link given below not only gives the date of examination but also the format available in the different TOEFL testing centres. You should choose the TOEFL testing centre which is convenient to you.
What to Expect on the Test Day
There are certain important points, which you should remember when you check in at your test centre-
- On the day of the test you should arrive at least half an hour early. If you arrive late you will not be allowed to take the test.
- You should have ETS approved identification with your photograph and signature on it and your registration confirmation letter.
- You will be asked to provide handwriting and signature samples.
- You will also be asked to take a snap which will displayed at your computer station and will also be displayed on your paper score report.
- The test administrator will assign you your seat.
- Some TOEFL testing centres will require you to fulfil additional formalities such as, going through a metal detector scan or they might require your thumb scan or your testing room will be under surveillance while you are taking the test etc. These are some of the precautionary measures taken by your TOEFL testing centres to make the test as fair and as reliable as possible.
When you are at the test centre maintain decorum and refrain from disruptive behaviour. ETS has all the rights to prevent you from taking the test or cancelling your scores or bar you from taking future tests in case you are found with improper behaviour.
Terms and Conditions
Information published in TestPrepPractice.net is provided for informational and educational purpose alone for deserving students, researchers and academicians. Though our volunteers take great amount of pain and spend significant time in validating the veracity of the information or study material presented here, we cannot be held liable for any incidental mistakes. All rights reserved. No information or study material in this web site can be reproduced or transmitted in any form, without our prior consent. However the study materials and web pages can be linked from your web site or web page for
- Academic purposes
No permission is required to link any of the web page with educational information available in this web site from your web site or web page