TOEFL Preparation Books
7 Tips for Selecting Good TOEFL Preparation Books
Getting an above-average score in the TOEFL test helps you in achieving the goal of pursuing academic courses in foreign countries. TOEFL prep books, e-guides, video training, on-campus courses and online courses are the various preparation options available. Books are more preferred when compared to the other sources available for TOEFL preparation because:
- Books can be carried with you anywhere you go.
- They can be referred quickly.
- They will be very useful for the test preparation when there is no access to the Internet or computer.
Good TOEFL preparation books can help you score well in the TOEFL exam. The seven tips given below will help you choose good TOEFL study books.
- Decide the Type of TOEFL Preparation Books you Need
The TOEFL preparation materials are available as guidebooks and e-books. You can easily buy them from bookstores or online bookshops. The different types of preparation materials available for the TOEFL test are Comprehensive TOEFL study books/e-books, TOEFL practice guides, TOEFL practice tests, TOEFL sample questions, English skill-building books for TOEFL. Books are also available for separate sections of the TOEFL test. You must decide the type of TOEFL preparation books that suit your needs and then purchase them.
- Get Suggestions from your Friends, Relatives or Neighbors
Before choosing TOEFL preparation books, seek suggestions from your friends, relatives or neighbors who have scored well in the TOEFL test. Get a list of five to six books, and then choose the best one or two books among them. Choosing one or two good books is recommended since reading too many books can confuse you. It is very important to think well before purchasing a book so that you do not waste your precious money in books that are not worthy.
- Search over the Internet
You can search over the internet for the best books available for achieving the best scores in the TOEFL test. Make a list of good TOEFL books based on the user reviews available over the Internet. Choose the best among them based on the contents of the book and your budget.
- Consider TOEFL Preparation Books Available at ETS
You can find excellent TOEFL preparation books at the official website of the Educational Testing Service (ETS) http://www.ets.org/toefl. There are varieties of practice materials also available at the ETS website which will help you prepare for the TOEFL iBT test.
- TOEFL® Value Packs include the test preparation materials: The Official Guide to the TOEFL Test and the TOEFL Practice Online - Complete Practice Test. The Value Packs also include other benefits, such as Engaging English Service, eight TOEFL iBT Additional Score Reports, and US$35 Next Test Discount. You can buy the Value Pack Premium when you register for a TOEFL test. You can buy the Value Pack Prep or the Value Pack Plus from the ETS Store.
- The Official Guide to the TOEFL® Test, Third Edition is one of the best-selling and all-in-one TOEFL preparation books. This 453 pages, authentic test preparation guidebook has comprehensive TOEFL study material, two full-length practice tests, real questions, essay topics, skill building tips and test taking strategies to help you prepare for the TOEFL iBT test. The book is available in printed as well as eBook formats.
- Other Options for TOEFL Books
If you are not interested to buy TOEFL preparation books from the ETS, you can consider other TOEFL books. The Official Guide to the New TOEFL by McGraw-Hill, Kaplan GRE Exam Comprehensive Program, Longman Preparation Course for the TOEFL® Test - Next Generation iBT, and Delta's Key to the Next Generation TOEFL® Test are some of the TOEFL books that can be considered. The last two books get the best reviews from users. The Official Guide to the New TOEFL by McGraw-Hill is also good.
Some TOEFL books do not include audio CDs that are useful in preparing for the Listening, Writing and Speaking sections of the test. In that case, you have to buy the audio CD separately. It is better to buy a TOEFL book that comes along with the CD so that you can prepare for all the sections of the test.
- Choose TOEFL Books Available for Separate Sections of the TOEFL Test If Required
If you are weak in specific sections of the TOEFL test, you can choose TOEFL preparation books meant for that section. A few examples of such books/e-books are The TOEFL iBT Book for Reading Comprehension, TOEFL iBT Writing Practice Books, TOEFL listening books and TOEFL Listening Practice.
- Join a Good TOEFL Prep Course
You will get the best TOEFL books and study materials if you join a good on-campus or onsite TOEFL prep course. However, you should be careful enough to choose one of the good TOEFL courses.
The tips listed above should definitely help you in choosing good TOEFL books. You can also refer to the other tips available on the Internet.
Terms and Conditions
Information published in TestPrepPractice.net is provided for informational and educational purpose alone for deserving students, researchers and academicians. Though our volunteers take great amount of pain and spend significant time in validating the veracity of the information or study material presented here, we cannot be held liable for any incidental mistakes. All rights reserved. No information or study material in this web site can be reproduced or transmitted in any form, without our prior consent. However the study materials and web pages can be linked from your web site or web page for
- Academic purposes
No permission is required to link any of the web page with educational information available in this web site from your web site or web page