TOEFL iBT Vocabulary
How is Your Vocabulary Tested in TOEFL iBT?
TOEFL is a test of English Language, which is taken by non-native speakers for pursuing academic courses in those countries where English is the primary mode of communication. Beside this, by taking TOEFL, the students can participate in learning programs of English Language, secure scholarships and certifications and also obtain work or student visa.
TOEFL is conducted in the following formats:
- TOEFL iBT: This is the online or Internet based test that is taken by most students.
- TOEFL PBT: The paper based test of TOEFL is conducted in those test centers where internet access or facility is not available.
TOEFL contains the following four sections:
The students are required to make appropriate use of Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing skills while carrying out their academic tasks. The scores of TOEFL are accepted by many educational institutions and professional or government agencies throughout the world. The students can take this test several times as it is held on various dates throughout the year.
How is Vocabulary Tested in TOEFL iBT?
The students should have a reasonably good knowledge of TOEFL iBT vocabulary for taking TOEFL. In fact, vocabulary of the students is tested in all four sections of the test. Therefore, TOEFL aspirants should strengthen their vocabulary for obtaining good scores in this test. Let us consider each section of TOEFL and see how it will test your vocabulary:
- Reading Section: In this section, the students are required to answer questions based on excerpts that are usually taken from the university level textbooks for introducing a particular topic or concept. The knowledge of vocabulary of a student will determine how well he/she interprets the excerpts so that he/she is able to answer at least 12-14 questions that are related to each passage. The students may or may not have knowledge about the topic, which is given but a proper understanding of English words or phrases or a perfect knowledge of TOEFL iBT vocabulary will help him/her tackle this section properly.
- Listening Section: In this section, the test takers should be able to interpret the words and phrases after hearing the recorded messages. They must possess proper knowledge of TOEFL iBT vocabulary to comprehend the use of words, phrases, idioms or homonyms in this section.
- Writing Section: TOEFL iBT vocabulary is also required in Writing Section in which an individual should respond to two different tasks. In this section, the knowledge of vocabulary will help him/her to write correct or suitable English by using proper words and phrases while responding to the passages, lectures and essays.
- Speaking Section: In the Speaking Tasks, the knowledge of TOEFL iBT vocabulary will aid in the proper expression of opinions and ideas by using appropriate words and phrases. It will help the test takers to demonstrate their skills and competence while performing the "Integrated Speaking Tasks".
How to Improve Vocabulary for TOEFL?
The students can take online vocabulary tests or use the flash cards and learn TOEFL words to improve their knowledge of TOEFL iBT vocabulary. The online vocabulary resources help the TOEFL aspirants to strengthen their knowledge of words, phrases and idioms for taking this test. With the help of these resources, they can tackle each section of this examination and learn how the proper use of words and phrases will help in sentence construction while answering the Listening, Reading and Writing tasks. The practice tests are also useful and allow the students to implement their knowledge of TOEFL iBT vocabulary. These tests are conducted by several well known preparatory classes including ETS. The following books can provide aid in sharpening vocabulary skills:
- Longman TOEFL iBT Vocabulary consists of flashcard sets for enhancing vocabulary knowledge for TOEFL iBT.
- TOEFL Vocabulary Quiz book by Kaplan contains 350 vital words for TOEFL and their definitions along with their usage in sentences in a flashcard format.
- Essential Words for the TOEFL by Barron's features 500 words along with definitions. This book also tells the students how to use a dictionary and contains practice tests with answer keys.
Cracking TOEFL and scoring well in this exam is centered on the proper use of English words and phrases. Therefore, TOEFL aspirants must use appropriate resources to strengthen their TOEFL iBT vocabulary.
Terms and Conditions
Information published in TestPrepPractice.net is provided for informational and educational purpose alone for deserving students, researchers and academicians. Though our volunteers take great amount of pain and spend significant time in validating the veracity of the information or study material presented here, we cannot be held liable for any incidental mistakes. All rights reserved. No information or study material in this web site can be reproduced or transmitted in any form, without our prior consent. However the study materials and web pages can be linked from your web site or web page for
- Academic purposes
No permission is required to link any of the web page with educational information available in this web site from your web site or web page