Paper Based TOEFL
Salient Features of Paper Based TOEFL
Knowledge of English is essential if you wish to study in colleges and institutes of UK, USA, Canada, Australia; in other words, primarily English speaking nations. TOEFL is an examination that is designed to test your proficiency in the language. Moreover, a good TOEFL score is an important part of your admission portfolio. Hence, if you want to fare well in paper based TOEFL you should know about its features before you start preparing for it. The salient features of paper based TOEFL is discussed below.
Features of Paper Based TOEFL
The paper based TOEFL is held 6 times in a year in locations where iBT TOEFL cannot be held, due to reasons like lack of internet connection. TOEFL PBT question paper can be divided into 4 parts. The various sections of the question paper along with explanations of what they contain are as follows:
- Listening Comprehension: In this section you will hear conversations between people and based on the audio clips that you hear you will have to answer the subsequent questions. Moreover, the instructions regarding how you should answer the questions will also be in the audio clips. You will have to answer multiple choice questions designed to test the following skills:
- Your capabilities in understanding and analyzing conversations in English.
- Your expertise in understanding common expressions or jargon and idioms in English.
- Your skills with English grammar.
- Your skills in inferring the correct conclusion from a conversation.
You will hear 4 separate audio clips which comprise long and short conversations. The audio clips that you hear simulate the types of conversations that you will hear in an academic setting. If you require more information on this section of paper based TOEFL then click on the following link:
- Structure and Written Expression: This section will test your skills with English grammar. Here you will get multiple choice questions where topics can range from history of USA and Canada, to literature, culture or arts. In other words they are usually taken from academic texts. But, you need not have any previous knowledge of the context of the statements, because this section will test your grammatical skills, not your academic skills. The questions usually will ask you to complete a sentence, fill in the blanks, provide synonyms etc. Thus, it will test your expertise in English. If you want more information regarding this section the click on the following link:
- Reading Comprehension: In this section you will have to answer questions based on the passages you read. You will have to be able to critically analyze the passages in order to answer the questions. You will also need to have a good vocabulary to be able to answer the questions. Here too you will have to answer multiple choice questions. The passages are usually taken from academic texts or passages you may come across while pursuing your studies in the colleges or universities that you wish to study in. If you need more information regarding this section then click on the following link:
- Test of Witten English (TWE): In this section you will have to write an essay on a given topic. You will get 30 minutes to write the essay. You should appear for this section of the examination on the same day itself. The skills that will be tested in this section are your capabilities in writing a coherent and grammatically correct essay in English. It will also test your abilities in being able to organize your ideas properly and substantiating them with examples.
The paper based TOEFL is the original form of the examination. Although, this form of the examination is no longer available in most test locations, yet the validity of it is same as the iBT version. To help you select a convenient test center some of the centers are given in the following section.
Test Centers TOEFL PBT
The paper based TOEFL is held 6 times in a year and you can register for it by paying $160. Some of the test locations for paper based TOEFL are as follows:
- PBT TOEFL will be held in Algiers, Algeria, on May 5th, 2012.
- PBT TOEFL will be held in Pago Pago, American Samoa, on May 5th, 2012.
If you want a complete list of the test locations then click on the following link:
Thus, based on the list and the data provided in the link you can select a convenient test center and register. But, before you register consider all the information that you require about the examination and then start preparing for it. Proper preparation alone will help you fare well in the examination.
Terms and Conditions
Information published in TestPrepPractice.net is provided for informational and educational purpose alone for deserving students, researchers and academicians. Though our volunteers take great amount of pain and spend significant time in validating the veracity of the information or study material presented here, we cannot be held liable for any incidental mistakes. All rights reserved. No information or study material in this web site can be reproduced or transmitted in any form, without our prior consent. However the study materials and web pages can be linked from your web site or web page for
- Academic purposes
No permission is required to link any of the web page with educational information available in this web site from your web site or web page