What is the TEAS V Test?
Things you must know about TEAS V test
The Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) plays a very significant role in designing the professional career graph of an aspiring nursing student. The TEAS score is the deciding factor for one's admission into the field of healthcare sciences. These scores evaluate the student's candidature and help the nursing schools to analyse the suitability of a student in the course of study and nursing as a profession. If planning to take up this test, you must be bewildered with many questions about the test and the factors governing the test.
TEAS is the mandatory cross-over for every aspirant to get an admission into the privileged nursing schools across USA. To excel in this substantial test, one primarily needs to have a close look into what is tested here.
What is EAS V?
TEAS is an aptitude test conducted by ATI in accord with the pre-requisite criterion specified by the nursing schools. It helps the schools to choose suitable candidates with the abilities to take up the challenges they encounter during the course of study and nursing profession.
It is not a difficult exam, but, one that needs you to be thorough in your high school syllabus. It takes you through a set of 170 multiple-choice questions with four options to choose from. This is a content-driven test that covers the subjects namely; Maths, Science, Reading and English & Language Usage skills. Duration of the test is 209 minutes and it can be taken in computer-based or paper and pencil-based formats.
What kinds of Questions are there in the test?
- The Math section comprises of 45 questions, to be answered in 56 minutes. The topics covered are algebra, metric conversions, decimals, fractions, equations, graphs, ratio/proportions and percentage.
- The Science section includes the questions covering the topics; Anatomy, Physiology, Biology, Physics, Chemistry and science reasoning. It needs to be completed in 38 minutes with 30 questions.
- The Reading section has 40 questions from the topics comprehensive paragraphs and passages, inference & sentences. These have to be answered within 50 minutes.
- The English and Language Usage section consists of 55 questions and the time-frame given for its completion is 65 minutes. It is all about English grammar, punctuation, meanings, sentence structure, word-sentence building and more.
To pass with flying colors, you need to be adequately prepared diligently. Remember to gain as much information as you can about the test; grab all the application submission deadlines and application review process of the various nursing schools. Once, you make a choice of the state and city and the date & time, on which you will be taking the test, it becomes very easy to roll up one's sleeves and plan the preparations. However; remember that this test is about what you have already studied during your high school. All you need is a good refreshing insight into the content covered in the test.
Tips to Ace the TEAS
- The basic rule is to follow the official test website, www.atitesting.com.
- Create an account with ATI to make the maximum use of all the resources available for your study. You will be given a unique ID which would remain the same for any test taken by ATI. However, this does not mean that you are registering for the exam. You may follow the link: http://www.atitesting.com/ati_next_gen/general/EditProfile.aspx for creating an account.
- ATI offers a world of resources that will help you in preparing for the test. You can find a comprehensive book by the company, "Learning Strategies" for tips to succeed in the test, set of two TEAS V online practice assessment forms A & B with 150 questions each, the TEAS V study manual and the TEAS V study package.
- There is a multitude of websites available which offer varied study tools and online practice tests. These not only help in improvising knowledge but also build your confidence levels. However, you must remember the thumb rule to follow the ATI website for all information.
- Use of flash cards is another beneficial option of study to help overcome the difficulties that you come across during your preparations for the test.
By now, you must have attained enough knowledge about the TEAS. Alongside; one must remember that an unbeatable score in this test adds a lot of value to your nursing application. ATI provides an opportunity to know the composite as well as scores obtained for the individual sections. This helps students and the nursing schools to have a better understanding of one's strengths and weaknesses in a particular subject. However, the underlying fact is that "Strong subject knowledge and critical thinking skills is the most imperative key to success in this exam".