TEAS Exam Review
5 Points to Remember When You Select a Guide Book
With several colleges using the TEAS V scores for making Nursing program admission decisions, the TEAS is an important test in the career of many Nursing school aspirants. The competitive test requires that students put in a considerable amount of preparation and practice for cracking it. In this article, learn how you can choose a good prep book; also read reviews about some good books that should be in your collection.
5 Points to Remember while Choosing a Good Study Guide
With plenty of resource types and titles around, and practical concerns like affordability restricting you, it can be a very tricky thing to choose a good title. Here are five points that you should remember while choosing a good study guide:
- The book of your needs:
Though many types of study materials are available, identify and select only those titles that fit your needs. For example, if you need specific help in a particular test area, choose a title or a number of titles that can sharpen your skills in the area. You may also remember that a book that your neighbor or friend chose need not be good enough for you.
- The content of the book:
Whether it is comprehensive or specific in nature, any good guide should, ideally, provide an overview of the test in it. In addition, it should cover all the essentials of the test or section for which you are looking for help.
- Authenticity and quality of the content:
Quality content and authenticity of the prep material are important factors while undertaking any test preparation. Ensure the title you choose is authentic and make sure to include quality materials. You may choose reputed publishers or print houses in the field of Nursing education/exam prep fields.
- Practice tests are a must:
Along with quality content, taking practice tests is one of the best ways to get familiarized with the test pattern. A good prep guide should include sample questions; else make sure that you get practice resources additionally.
- Price of the title:
Price can be a determining factor while buying a book. However, it does not mean that only expensive titles are good for your preparation. Take care of your pocket, while choosing the best titles for yourself.
Three of the popular books are reviewed below. You may choose these for your preparation:
TEAS Review Manual, Vers. V (5) (ATI, Study Manual for the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS)
Published by ATI itself, the developer of the test, this is a popular, authentic, and comprehensive test manual available today. The important features of this guide are:
- Extensive review materials on all the core sections are included in this book.
- Practice questions are another important aspect, where each question is provided with a detailed answer key.
- It is a competitively priced title that can be bought locally or online from the ATI online store (http://www.atitesting.com/ati_store/product.aspx?zpid=1194).
On another note, the lack of tips and tricks for test taking could be termed a negative point that can distract certain readers who are especially looking for test tips and tricks.
TEAS Exam Practice Questions: TEAS® Practice Tests & Review for the Test of Essential Academic Skills (2011)
This is yet another popular title that comes from the publishing house of Mometrix Media. Important features of this guide include the following:
- It is a guide focusing on the practice aspect of TEAS preparation.
- The practice questions included in this guide not only help you to learn the pattern of the test, but also provide an opportunity to understand your strengths and weaknesses.
- Questions cover all the core aspects tested in test and are accompanied by detailed explanations.
- The book is averagely priced and goes well with other review-centered materials.
- You may purchase this book from local bookstalls or online.
McGraw-Hills 5 TEAS Practice Tests
Published by McGraw Hill, this is yet another book that focuses on the practice aspect of test preparation.
- It includes six full-length, practice tests that are modeled on the original test.
- The questions span across the four core areas of testing, viz. English, Reading, Mathematics, and Science; each question is accompanied by a detailed explanation that helps you understand the answer in depth.
- Kathy Zahler, the author, is considered an expert in her field, and the content of this prep book is considered quite authentic and useful.
- The book is available on Kindle and as a paperback edition.
However, this is a prep book that does not cover any review materials or even test taking strategies; and therefore, cannot be called a comprehensive prep help book.
You may use these reviews listed here in your search for the perfect guide or may select some of these titles for your test preparation. The important point is that you understand your needs first and then choose your books for preparation accordingly.