How Many Times Can You Take the TEAS?
How Can You Reappear For TEAS?
TEAS or the Test of Essential Academic Skills is an entrance test to select the potential candidates for a nursing course. This is administered by the ATI and is a standardized, multiple-choice test. Academic skills in the areas of Math, Science, Language and Reading are tested because the skills and knowledge in these fields are crucial for a nursing student.
The test is highly competitive and the selection of potential candidates is based on comparative scoring. Therefore, only candidates with high scores get chosen for a nursing program. Each nursing program has different minimum cut-off score for eligibility but generally, a score of over 70 in the above mentioned subjects is required. Candidates who score lower than this would not gain admission to a nursing program.
If you are one of the candidates who has scored lower grades, the answer you would immediately be curious to know is the number of times you can take the test. The answer is not simple because each nursing school has different answers.
Retaking the TEAS
Retest is a savior when you haven't achieved your expected scores. However, retesting has its advantages and disadvantages. So, before you consider attempting the test the first time, make sure you have a well-thought prep plan. The following are your options for retesting:
- Once- Many nursing colleges allow you to appear for the test only once in an admission cycle. This means that if you do not get the minimum scores in the first attempt, you would have to wait for the next academic cycle to apply and appear for the test in the same institution.
- Twice- Some nursing programs allow you to take the test twice. However, there must be a minimum time gap between the two tests. In some cases, the minimum time frame between two tests is one month, while in some cases, it is 3 months. If you do not achieve the minimum scores after attempting the test twice, you would never be eligible for the nursing programs offered by these schools. Further, in some schools, you must attain the minimum scores within one year from the date of your first attempt and if you do not attain the scores, you would not be eligible for the nursing programs thereafter.
- Many times- A few of the nursing schools allow you to take the test any number of times until you get the minimum scores. However, you would have to take up the entire test and not just the subjects you have failed in.
Test Reattempt Procedure
You should also know how to apply for reattempting the test. The procedure for retaking the test is similar to applying for it the first time. However, a few extra clarifications need to be made.
- Kindly check if the nursing school you have applied for allows you to retake the test.
- Learn about the waiting period (time you would have to wait for ) before attempting the second time. After this, schedule a date and time for taking the test.
- Pay the fees for the retest. The fees vary from one institution to another and therefore, find the cost of the test and pay it.
- Use the waiting period to prepare for the test.
The above mentioned points are a step-by-step guide to apply for taking the test again.
A good preparation is essential to attain a good score. If you prepare well for the test, you need not appear for a retest; thus, you can save time, effort, and finances that are incurred in appearing for a retest. Your aim should be to ace the test the first time itself.
A few points to remember...
- You can retake the test but the number of times you could attempt it depends on the nursing school.
- It is best to get a high score in your first attempt itself as it would save you would have to pay the exam fee each time you attempt.
- Preparation is the only key to attain a high TEAS score and if you prepare well, you can ace the exam in the very first attempt.