Information Regarding SAT Test Centers
The Most Preferred SAT Exam Locations
SAT is conducted at various centers across the United States and several other centers in major cities around the world. The test locations are generally high schools. All these exams are administered and conducted by College Board. The College Board website is the best source of information on all test locations. It provides the most accurate and updated information.
How to Search for a Location
At the time of registering, you will need to enter the unique codes for the locations of your choice. These codes are available on the College Board website, the linkk to which is as follows: www.collegeboard.org. All you have to do is go to this site and select the “Code Search” option. Here you have the option of searching by country, high school, test center, college major, college and scholarship. You can also select the region on a continent basis.
While selecting locations, keep the following points in mind-
- The proximity of the center to your house or school so that you don’t have any travelling problems on the test day.
- It is not necessary that you take examination and subject test on the same day or at the same center, so you can choose them differently according to your convenience. Also note, that not all the subject tests are available at a center so be sure to find out before you proceed to choose.
- The second choice that you give as an exam center is equally important. Although most often you get your first choice, it doesn’t hurt to be careful.
Once you have the center in mind, you can get the required code and complete your registration process. Also note, that in case you make a mistake, there is provision for change in center and dates by paying an extra amount of $25. This feature has a deadline and you have to make sure that you are aware of all the deadlines. You can find these at the College Board site.
Types of Locations
There are basically two types of exam locations-
National Testing Centers
These are generally local educational facilities. These centers differ in the facilities that they can provide for physically disabled students. Some of the facilities that can be provided at these centers are 50% extended time, 14 point test booklet and large block answer sheet. 50% extended time means that the duration of the test is five hours and you get-
- 38 minutes for a standard 25-minute section
- 30 minutes for a standard 20-minute section
- 15 minutes for a standard 10-minute section
The students with or without accommodations can choose to give test at their own school. In this case, the facilities for disabled children are 100% extended time, reader, writer, brail version of the test and a computer to record written responses. 100% extended time means that the duration of the test will be 6 hours and 40 minutes. Its division is as follows-
- 50 minutes for a standard 25-minute section
- 40 minutes for a standard 20-minute section
- 20 minutes for a standard 10-minute section
Most of the students prefer taking examination in their own schools. There are only few exceptions to this rule and those exceptions are generally because of the following reasons-
- Your school is not a recognized SAT center
- The subject test that you want to attempt is not available at your school
- Special circumstances/disabilities require you to take exam at some other center that provides better facilities.
- You are preparing for test elsewhere and you want to attempt it there itself.
In these cases, you will be better off taking the test at any of the national testing centers. There are several centers in the United States and abroad available to you. The availability of accommodations and subjects tests depends on the capacity of the center, the registrations and on College Board’s decision.
You should note that, in general any official SAT center will be equipped with the best facilities. This is an important criterion during the allotment of the title of “SAT Center” to any school or educational center by College Board. Therefore, you can quite safely assume that even if you are not able to take the test in your own school, it won’t be much of a problem.
There are some basic requirements that
have to fulfill, these include affiliation with an educational
institute, adequate facilities for test-takers, secure storage of test
materials and an apt location. The choice for a test location is
a completely personal and it should be decided based on your