PSAT Vocabulary List
PSAT Vocabulary Lists for Average Students
PSAT consists of three sections. They are the Math section, the Critical Reading section and the Writing Skills section. PSAT is on the whole evaluated for a total score of 240. The Critical Reading and the Writing Skills sections together comprise 66% of the test paper. Leaving the Math section, good vocabulary is very essential for you for attempting both the Critical Reading and the Writing Skills sections of the PSAT.
How PSAT Involves Vocabulary?
Let us now see what both the Critical Reading section and the Writing Skills section contain that will demand a good knowledge in relation to vocabulary. Sentence completion questions are asked in the Critical Reading section of the PSAT. Identifying errors in sentences, improving the given sentences and improving paragraph types of questions are asked in the Writing Skills section of the PSAT. Crudely analyzing, we can say that all the question types mentioned above requires a strong vocabulary to be answered. Even though you cannot see any direct relation between those questions requiring vocabulary, somehow you can do better with a sound vocabulary. So, practically, you require vocabulary for solving 160 marks of the paper.
PSAT Vocabulary Lists
Vocabulary is something that does not come merely by hearting a set of words. It comes with immense practice and conscious effort towards improving. You can find many a PSAT vocabulary list that will provide you with a good deal of words. But it is very important that you practice them instead of simply mugging up all the words. In fact, you cannot practically mug up any PSAT vocabulary list. However, if you learn words simply by hearting, you cannot use them in the correct way when it comes to applying them.
PSAT Vocabulary Learning Essentials for Average Students
Considering all this, you may have a doubt about how to acquire a strong vocabulary. Mentioned below are some very important points that you need to keep in mind while studying any PSAT vocabulary list.
- You must first concentrate on correctly knowing the meaning and the parts of speech of the word you study in a particular PSAT vocabulary list.
- Then try linking the word with the ones that share a similar meaning (synonyms) that you may have already come across.
- It is advised that you look up the dictionary for learning more about a particular word in the PSAT vocabulary list that you may feel is strangely new. A dictionary not only just gives you the meaning of the word; instead, you can find more useful information regarding the usage, parts of speech, pronunciation.
- Many test takers often commit the mistake of neglecting the necessity of understanding the meaning of a word they find in a PSAT vocabulary list in relation to its contextual usage. This is where you get crammed up. When you do not understand the contextual usage of a particular word, there is a high chance of committing a mistake.
- Practice is most essential in the process of building a strong vocabulary. You must try to use the words that you learn from a PSAT vocabulary list in your daily life, with your friends, to keep them registered forever in your brains.
Links to Some Useful PSAT Vocabulary Lists
Following are some very useful links to vocabulary lists for you to master your vocabulary. Furthermore, on each page of the following links, you will have many more links categorized which help you learn vocabulary in a systematic way.http://majortests.com/word-lists/ http://www.superkids.com/aweb/tools/sat/ http://www.vocabulary.co.il/psat_vocabulary/ http://www.satvocab.com/ http://www.apples4theteacher.com/math/time/printables/ http://www.enchantedlearning.com/wordlist/time.shtml http://www.enchantedlearning.com/wordlist/time.shtml
Also, at the above links, you can find quizzes for you to test your vocabulary skills. Testing, in fact, helps you more. Repeatedly test yourself because the mistakes you commit the first time will not be repeated and thence you will remember the correct meanings precisely.
Terms and Conditions
Information published in TestPrepPractice.net is provided for informational and educational purpose alone for deserving students, researchers and academicians. Though our volunteers take great amount of pain and spend significant time in validating the veracity of the information or study material presented here, we cannot be held liable for any incidental mistakes. All rights reserved. No information or study material in this web site can be reproduced or transmitted in any form, without our prior consent. However the study materials and web pages can be linked from your web site or web page for
- Academic purposes
No permission is required to link any of the web page with educational information available in this web site from your web site or web page