Ways to Approach Preparation for PSAT
Different PSAT Test Prep Approaches
PSAT is short for Preliminary SAT. It is often referred to as PSAT/NMSQT. NMSQT stand for National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test. It is administered by the College Board and National Merit Scholarship Corporation (NMSC). This test is primarily administered to offer scholarships to candidates who score brilliantly. Moreover, it is taken by many test takers as a first-hand experience for SAT. It is a highly competitive test and it requires you to be very competent to get through the stiff competition that you would face while you take this test. You can gain confidence and competence only if you put in sincere efforts throughout your preparation period.
PSAT Test Prep Approaches
There are different ways in which students prepare for the test. It typically depends upon the student’s ability to sort his/her preferences pertaining to factors like strengths, weaknesses, and feasibility to name a few. Some prefer going to a coaching institute, some prepare by themselves and others prepare online. To mention broadly, these are the three ways by which one can prepare for this test. It is advised by many experts and tutors that enrolling in a PSAT preparatory course would be of more help than other kinds of preparation approaches. However, it depends upon the student to clearly decide upon the method that he/she would prefer.
There are many coaching institutes and tutorials currently that train students to achieve high scores in the test. They provide the required study materials, classroom training sessions, practice sessions and practice tests to help students gain more knowledge and competence. Students who prepare online usually subscribe to online video tutorials and then practice themselves. Online preparation is a bit more comfortable though you may miss out some crucial advantages like doubt clarifications and comprehensive explanations that coaching institutes offer. Students who prepare by themselves buy some good guides and refer to free online prep materials and practice tests for the test preparation.
What Does PSAT Consist of?
Basically, the question paper consists of questions that are asked based upon the syllabus you might have covered till your tenth grade. The test has three sections namely the Math, the Critical Reading and the Writing Skills sections. It lasts for two-hours and ten-minutes. You can visit the following link to know more about the test paper particulars.http://professionals.collegeboard.com/testing/psat/about/sections
How to Prepare for PSAT?
Prior to starting your test prep process, understand syllabus in detail. Read the entire information pertaining to the test that is available on the official website. The following points would help you to plan your schedule for the preparation.
- First, estimate your abilities. Your strengths, weaknesses must be known to you. This helps in time management both while preparation and also while taking the test. If you clearly have an idea of your abilities, only then can you attempt the paper well.
- Depending upon your requirement and confidence on your abilities, you can choose any one of the above mentioned preparatory methods.
- Cultivate the habit of being time bound. Even if it is a single question, practice keeping time in mind.
- Practicing extensively can be your only hope. Put in more hours towards practicing more and more questions. If you spend one hour for reading and understanding concepts, spend five hours on practicing questions on those respective concepts because concepts are always standard but questions can be twisted to check your skills.
- Motivate yourself when you feel down because of low scores. When you firmly believe in your abilities to achieve high scores, you can certainly achieve them.