Points To Consider While Selecting PSAT Study Books
5 Steps for Selection of PSAT Practice Books
A practice book should be
comprehensive, concise, in-demand and recommended by most of the
teachers, websites or counselors. A book is the most important
tool you need in the process of your preparation. It will explain to
you the test, the scholarship structure, the test questions types and
most importantly, the pattern. The book that
you will buy, should contain some basic necessities or rather some
fundamental features. Such features should be the standpoint, based on
which you should select your book.
Steps for Choosing a Guide book:
Following are the steps that should be followed while choosing a guide book:
- There should be enough explanation about test sections, the question types, the subject matter covered in the test and the test procedures, administration, etc.
- Check for exhaustive study resources, covering up the syllabus covered in the test sections. These study resources should be coupled with ample practice test questions and practice tests.
- The guide book should have relative popularity among the test takers, which portrays that it is favored by most of the students taking the test and that it is highly recommended and dependable.
- You must also ensure a reasonable price tag. As you are not spending a fortune for preparatory courses, you can shell out a buck or two more for these helpful practice books. Hence, as you have a budget limitation, your book should be priced at a reasonable rate.
- Finally, it is important to have a recommendation by your teacher, counselor, head master or your instructor. It is only the experienced individuals who know best which book should be suitable for you.
Prominent guide books:
Now that you know about the basic requisites of a study guide, let us now discuss about few of the guide books. They are:
- Official Student Guide to the PSAT/NMSQT: This is the
authorized study guide which is published by the creators of PSAT, i.e.
the College Board. This book is
often considered as the Bible for PSAT by all the past test-takers who
have used it. It comes for free and is available in high school or from
your counselor. It contains:
- Tips and strategies for taking the test
- Facts about the National Merit Scholarship Corporation (NMSC) programs
- A full-length practice test paper
- Tips and strategies for taking the test
- 11 Practice Tests for the PSAT, 2012 Edition: This is a publication by the Princeton Review and is available in paperback or in hardbound edition. This practice book gives you a total of 11 practice tests, ten solved with answer keys while one is kept unsolved for you. It also offers you a summary of the test sections, scoring and fundamentals. It comes at a price tag of $13.10, available online or at general bookstores.
- Gruber's Complete PSAT/NMSQT Guide 2012: The next in line of the study books is the Gruber's Complete PSAT/NMSQT Guide 2012 by Dr. Gary Gruber. Dr. Gary Gruber’s method of solving the test questions has been tested successful in the past and has helped in increasing the score manifolds. This guide includes three full-length practice tests, in-depth analysis of the test sections and a complete review of the three (Critical Reading, Math and Writing Skills) test sections. It comes at a price of $8.81.
- Cracking the PSAT/NMSQT, 2012 Edition: The users of this book say that if you have to score high, this is the book you should follow. They make this proposition for obvious reasons. The book comes from the house of Princeton Review, popular in generating the best scorers in the past. This study book contains two full-length practice tests, a rigorous review and explanation of the three sections of the test, tips and strategies to deal with the question types of each sections, practice questions and all information that you need about the NMSC. It also contains the exclusive ‘Hit Parade’ which is an assortment of the most overused vocabulary in the past tests.
Hence in the above-discussion, you get to know about the best practice book which is perfect for you and which promises to give you results. However, even though you have the guide books, you have to discipline yourself to practice in the exact fashion as directed in these guide books. Practice is the catchword for sure success in the test.