Different Types Of PSAT Mathematics Preparatory Books
PSAT Math-Comprehensive Information
The test format of the PSAT is similar to that of the SAT. This test comprises three major sections:
- Critical Reading section
- Mathematics section
- Writing Skills section
Here in this article, we intend to share relevant information about the Math section of this test.
This section entails two types of questions. They are:
- Multiple-choice questions
- Student-Produced Responses
The above-mentioned types of Math questions are explained below:
Multiple-choice Math questions: In this type of questions, a question is given followed by five options. You have to choose the right answer from among the given options. There are twenty eight multiple-choice questions that are asked.
Tips to solve Math Multiple-Choice Questions:
- First, read the question carefully.
- Go through all the options before you start to work on the question.
- If you do not find your answer among the given options, try writing it in a different form. For instance, if your answer comes out in decimal form but the right option is in fraction accordingly, you have to change the form of your answer.
Student-Produced Response question: This type of question is also known as Grid- In; under this type, you have to solve problems and fill the answers in grids available on the answer sheet. The Student-Produced Response questions are not multiple-choice questions. There are ten questions of this type that are asked in the exam.
Tips to Solve Student-Produced Response Questions:
- Use a calculator to solve these problems. This will help in avoiding calculation mistakes and you can also do speedy calculations.
- Write your answers in the boxes above grids before you begin to fill in the grids.
- There is no negative marking for these types of questions. Therefore, you can try solving every such question.
- You can fill an answer on the grid in the form of a decimal or a fraction.
Topics Covered in PSAT Math
This part consists of various topics. They are given below:
- Numbers and Operation
- Algebra and Functions
- Data Analysis, Probability and Statistics
Scores Achieved in PSAT Math
The average score in this section was 49 in the year 2010. The students achieved this average score in their junior year of high school. The average score achieved in the same year by the sophomores for this section was 44. However, if you want to qualify for the NMSQT (National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test) organized by the NMSC (National Merit Scholarship Corporation), you have to score high in the exam.
Books for PSAT Math
Following are the books that you can refer:
Official Student Guide
This book has been introduced by the official website of PSAT, the College Board.
This guide aids you in:
- getting complete answers to all questions
- accessing tips to solve different types of questions
You can open the link http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/psat/about/bulletin.html to get information in detail.
Kaplan’s PSAT Math Book
Kaplan runs coaching centers both online and offline. It has also recommended books for guiding students towards Math. For instance, it has introduced the book PSAT/NMSQT 2012 Premier. The salient features of this book are as follows:
- complete answers to all questions mentioned in the book
- tips to solve difficult questions
- full-length practice tests
You can get detailed information about this book, click on the following link: http://www.amazon.com/Kaplan-PSAT-NMSQT-2012-Premier/product-reviews/
Kaplan’s Tips to Solve PSAT Math Questions:
- Answers for difficult questions are confusing. More than one answer seems correct and easy to obtain. Therefore, you have to read difficult questions carefully.
- Read all the questions carefully.
- If you are not getting the clue to solve a problem, leave it and move to another question. If you get time at the end of the test, try to solve it.
- You can use shortcuts instead of doing calculations step-by-step.
The Princeton Review’s PSAT Math Book
The Princeton Review provides coaching classes to the aspirants. It has written the book Cracking the PSAT/NMSQT, 2012 edition. Mentioned below are the salient features of this book:
- math questions with complete explanations of their answers
- tips to approach difficult questions
- additional practice questions for the topics such as geometry, quadratic equations and functions
You can visit the following web page: http://www.amazon.com/Cracking-PSAT-NMSQT-College-Preparation/ to get more information about the book.
The above discussion clearly describes the PSAT Math test section, the topics it covers and the questions it encompasses. Moreover, you can also know about the guidelines that you can follow while solving these questions. Besides, you can access information about some of the best books that you can refer to score high in this test section.