Understand the MCAT Requirements
MCAT is an examination that all candidates aspiring to pursue a career in medicine have to appear for. A good MCAT score is the prerequisite if you wish to get admission in the schools for medicine in USA or Canada. Thus, before you start preparing for the examination you should know the MCAT requirements. Some things that you should keep in mind before appearing for MCAT are discussed in the following sections.
Things to Remember Before Registering for MCAT
Before you apply for MCAT you should take into account some MCAT requirements and some information that you need to gather before you register for MCAT. Some of the required information is as follows:
- You should select your MCAT test center since the seats in the test locations for MCAT are limited and they are distributed among candidates on a first come first served basis.
- You should also select your MCAT test date since, you will have to mention it in the registration form.
- While registering for MCAT ensure that your test date does not clash with the admission deadlines of the colleges you wish to apply in.
- Before you start registering you must have a valid identity proof and a credit card. The credit card is necessary since online registration is the only method of registration for MCAT.
The afore-mentioned list defines the MCAT requirements for registration. If you want to know more about MCAT registration then click on the following link: https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/reserving/
Even if you fulfill the above mentioned MCAT requirements, remember that you need to fulfill certain educational requirements in order to get admission in medical colleges. Hence, these become the educational criteria for appearing in MCAT. These are given in the following section.
Prerequisites for MCAT
If you visit the official website for MCAT you will find that there are no predefined requirements to appear for MCAT. Any candidate with any undergraduate degree can appear for MCAT. However, there are certain requirements that you have to fulfill if you want to get admission in a medical school. Thus, indirectly these become your MCAT requirements. Some of your pre-medical requirements are as follows:
- The MCAT examination will test your basic knowledge of Chemistry, Physics and Biology. Thus, while doing your pre-med studies ensure that you have studied Chemistry (General and Organic) Physics and Biology for one year each. You should also have done sufficient lab work to support your theory classes.
- Along with the afore-mentioned courses you should have spent sufficient course-time in studying English. This is an important MCAT requirement since your skill in the language will be tested in the Verbal Reasoning and Essay Writing sections of MCAT.
- If you have done your major in a science subject then it will become easier for you to answer the MCAT questions. Moreover, most medical schools prefer candidates with a science background. Thus, it won't be very wrong to say that science major is another MCAT requirement!
- You should have a GPA of at least 3.0. Although, AAMC will allow you to appear for MCAT even if your GPA is lower, yet your admission application will be rejected by most colleges. Hence, it won't be very wrong to say that a good GPA is an important MCAT requirement.
- Thus, from the afore-mentioned list you can get an idea of the MCAT requirements that you should meet before appearing for the examination. Remember that these requirements are necessary not only for MCAT but also for a successful medical career. Hence, as you start preparing for MCAT you should also be aware of the requirements of the medical schools that you wish to apply in. Some the common requirements of the top medical schools are discussed in the following section.
Information Needed to Select a Medical School
Before you start applying to various medical schools you should know the requirements of them. Some of common requirements that you will need to fulfill are as follows:
- You should plan out your undergraduate course according to the requirements of the medical schools that you wish to study in. In some colleges being a science major is essential if you wish to study medicine whereas others are not so strict about it. Thus, based on the requirement of the medical school you wish to study in you should choose your undergraduate course work.
- If you have been involved in some social cause and displayed leadership qualities in it then it will give you an edge over your counterparts.
- If you have been involved in any health care reforms in your community then you should mention it in your admission portfolio. Such community service is always taken into account by medical schools.
- You should have good recommendations in your admissions portfolio along with a high GPA and a good MCAT score. Good recommendations will definitely tip the scale on your behalf!
Thus, as you can understand, you need to be well informed while preparing for MCAT. Gathering all the required information is also an essential MCAT requirement. Hence, you should gather all the information required and start preparing for MCAT. Remember, proper preparation is a prerequisite for a good MCAT score.
Terms and Conditions
Information published in TestPrepPractice.net is provided for informational and educational purpose alone for deserving students, researchers and academicians. Though our volunteers take great amount of pain and spend significant time in validating the veracity of the information or study material presented here, we cannot be held liable for any incidental mistakes. All rights reserved. No information or study material in this web site can be reproduced or transmitted in any form, without our prior consent. However the study materials and web pages can be linked from your web site or web page for
- Academic purposes
No permission is required to link any of the web page with educational information available in this web site from your web site or web page