Features and Benefits of MCAT CBT
What is MCAT CBT?
MCAT CBT is basically a revised form of MCAT. CBT is the abbreviation for Computer Based Test. MCAT first began as early as 1928 and used to be known as the 'Moss Test' since it was developed by the physician F. A. Moss. It was simplified to a great extent in the 1940's and nearly 80 years after its inception, MCAT has seen yet another change that took place back in 2007 when it was turned into a computer based test. In 2005, AAMC announced that the paper-pencil MCAT will be offered only till August and many of the testing centers converted to the computer-based MCAT. In 2007, however, this practice replaced the paper-based test entirely. MCAT CBT is essentially the same but the features of the exam differ, although it tests for the same skill sets, there are numerous advantages that one can see in MCAT CBT.
Features of MCAT CBT
- The MCAT CBT is much shorter. The test duration is of 5 hours as compared to the earlier duration which was 8 hours.
- The biggest advantage for MCAT CBT is that the students receive their scores quicker than the earlier waiting time of 3 weeks.
- The MCAT CBT is offered many times in one year. It has around 20 testing dates because of the simplicity of administering an MCAT CBT.
- The MCAT CBT is given in much smaller and climate-controlled rooms, which was not possible earlier. This was mainly because of the large number of students that one had to accommodate in a given test center. This problem has been taken care of by MCAT CBT. This is because when lesser students are appearing for the test in the same room there is little scope for disturbance.
- In MCAT CBT students are provided with scratch paper which is useful for calculations.
- MCAT CBT is a computer based test, hence, parts of the passage can be highlighted while answering reading comprehensions and students can also strike the wrong answers out on the computer screen itself, if they are using elimination as a tool to procure the right answer to a certain question. So MCAT CBT works like a paper-based test but with a difference.
- The total duration of an MCAT CBT is 5 hours and 30 minutes. There are four sections in the test namely;
- Physical Sciences- 70 minutes
- Verbal Reasoning- 60 minutes
- Writing- 60 minutes
- Biological Sciences- 70 minutes
Advantages of MCAT CBT
Let us look at some of the advantages of MCAT CBT
- Since this is a test we are talking about, most students would prefer a shorter and a faster version. Also it is cost-effective for the organization that is holding the test.
- Since most students today are already familiar with computers and handle them well, it is simpler for them to use the computer to take the MCAT.
- Students can utilize the timer on the computer screen which is very useful for tests like the MCAT CBT since it will keep a tab on how much time are you taking to complete a section and how much time is left at hand.
- Students can choose from more testing dates, because now it is simpler to administer the test and, the MCAT CBT can be held many times in a year.
- Students receive their scores quicker in the case of MCAT CBT since it is easier to score the responses of the test takers with computer testing.
MCAT CBT has been designed to facilitate convenience for the students and to help in choosing the best prospective premed students.
Terms and Conditions
Information published in TestPrepPractice.net is provided for informational and educational purpose alone for deserving students, researchers and academicians. Though our volunteers take great amount of pain and spend significant time in validating the veracity of the information or study material presented here, we cannot be held liable for any incidental mistakes. All rights reserved. No information or study material in this web site can be reproduced or transmitted in any form, without our prior consent. However the study materials and web pages can be linked from your web site or web page for
- Academic purposes
No permission is required to link any of the web page with educational information available in this web site from your web site or web page