High Score in MCAT
7 Tips to Achieve a High MCAT Score
Each of the three sections in the MCAT is scored in the range of 1-15, 1 being the lowest and 15 the highest. The writing section is graded from J to T, in this J is the lowest and T is the highest. The total score is the three individual section scores added with the writing section grade alongside the number. For example if the scores are 9, 10, 12 and R in the 4 sections, the total score is given as 31R.
MCAT is a competitive exam and 70,000+ students take up this test every year with joining a good medical school as the aim. Only a high score in MCAT can fulfill the dream of studying in a prestigious medical school.
The national average MCAT score of those who appear for the test is 24. All of the candidates who take up the test do not apply for medical schools. The average score of students who apply is 27 and the average score of those who get offered is 30. But you have to do much better than a 30 and get a high score in the test to get into a good medical school.
A high score would be around 35+ if you want to join one of the top 5 medical schools. These easy tips will help you get a high score in the test.
Tips to Achieve a High MCAT Score
- Start Preparing Early Preparation is the key to a high score. So start preparing early. There are different options available for the preparation. Decide on the methodology of preparation that is best suited for you. Buy the books and other study material required. Money spent on buying these will not go waste.
- Books Books are very important for preparing for MCAT. But don't overburden yourself with many books. Buy a few books and study form them. If you have enrolled for a course follow their study material. Since many books give contradictory strategies, it may confuse you. So stick to 1 or 2 books.
- Practice Test Papers Practice by doing as many tests as possible. Take at least 1 test per week. Time all your tests. Time is the crucial factor. Try to do the practice tests in an exam like conditions. This will help your mind tune to an exam condition. This will increase your concentration and help you do better in the real test
- Review All your Test Answers and Analyze Practicing test papers alone is not sufficient. You need to analyze the answers. Review all the answers of the practice tests. Identify your strong and weak areas. Identify and understand where you are getting a low score. Devote more time to that field.
- Answer Easy Questions First Try to answer the easy questions first. All questions carry equal marks. If you are stuck with a question, leave that question and answer the others. Come back to the question when you have time.
- Answer All Questions There is no negative marking for incorrect answers. If you are running out of time, answer the questions you could not attempt randomly. Even if a few of the answers are correct, you could get a better score.
- Avoid Stress Many good students get a low score in the test due to stress. Do not stress yourself. All the students in the exam hall are as tensed and stressed as you are. Try to relax your mind. Once your mind is relaxed you will be able to solve the problems in a better way. Get a good night’s sleep the previous night. A fresh mind works much better. Try to eat a light breakfast or light snacks. This will keep your brain fresh and help you to solve the problems faster.
Terms and Conditions
Information published in TestPrepPractice.net is provided for informational and educational purpose alone for deserving students, researchers and academicians. Though our volunteers take great amount of pain and spend significant time in validating the veracity of the information or study material presented here, we cannot be held liable for any incidental mistakes. All rights reserved. No information or study material in this web site can be reproduced or transmitted in any form, without our prior consent. However the study materials and web pages can be linked from your web site or web page for
- Academic purposes
No permission is required to link any of the web page with educational information available in this web site from your web site or web page