IELTS Vocabulary List
7 Wordlists for IELTS that You Must Consider
You cannot think of preparing for IELTS unless you strengthen your English vocabulary. This is the pillar of English language and is the first step to comprehend English language. To strengthen your IELTS vocabulary, you ought to access such an IELTS vocabulary list that contains words, their meanings and the use of these words in sentences. Besides, you must also know the tips to memorize these words. Mentioned below are the top seven wordlists for IELTS that you must refer to while preparing for the IELTS vocabulary:
- Center for Independent Language Learning (CIIL) provides you with one of the most effective vocabulary lists that present to you an IELTS vocabulary list comprising words that start from alphabet A to Z.
- It not only provides you with the definitions of words but also their use in sentences and their pronunciations.
- You can learn vocabulary by practicing vocabulary crosswords and vocabulary games.
- You can get access to idioms and phrases.
- You can learn about collocations i.e. combination of two or more different words that often comes together. For instance, 'smart boy' rather than 'beautiful boy' is the correct combination of the two words.
- You have the facility for learning vocabulary by matching words with their meanings.
- You can consult the link http://www2.elc.polyu.edu.hk/CILL/vocabula.htm#Dictionaries for more details.
- Guide for IELTS introduces more than 3000 words through its IELTS vocabulary list for preparing for IELTS vocabulary. It provides you with:
- Words along with their meanings, usage in sentences and other words related to the main word.
- Visual presentation of different meanings of the word.
- If you want to get detailed information, you can consult the link http://www.guide4ielts.com/vocabulary/selecting-vocabulary-academic-word-list .
- Exam English provides you with about 10 groups of most frequently used words.
- You can learn words along with their meanings and usage in sentences.
- You can assess your knowledge of words and thus can learn more words by taking practice tests that comprise multiple-choice questions.
- You will get tips on how to strengthen your IELTS vocabulary.
- You can visit the link http://www.examenglish.com/vocabulary/academic_word_list_group1.htm for detailed information about its IELTS vocabulary list.
- Dominic Cole's IELTS Blog invites you to learn its IELTS vocabulary list by:
- Introducing the most frequently used words and their meanings.
- Providing tips to improve your English vocabulary.
- Making you aware of a new word daily.
- Introducing topics from 'BBC news' and 'The Economist' to read, listen and learn new words.
- Providing you with an online dictionary such as the Macmillan dictionary from Dominic Cole.
- Helping you in learning collocations.
- If you want to get further details, you may look through the webpage http://www.dcielts.com/ielts-vocabulary/awl-exercises/.
- You can get access to the vocabulary workbook Check Your Vocabulary for English for IELTS Examination. It is created by Rawdon Wyatt. It contains:
- Exercises related to use of conditions such as if, whether, unless, until etc.
- Practice questions to teach you how to use words to analyze tables
- Words that describe locations, contrast and comparison, reason and result etc.
- Word lists related to different topics such as work, money and finance, education etc.
- You can consult the link http://www.scribd.com/doc/244244/Check-your-Vocabulary-for-IELTS for more details of this workbook.
- Cambridge Vocabulary for IELTS has been written by Pauline Cullen for providing you with an effective IELTS vocabulary list through reading and listening exercises. The excerpts that are given in the book introduce words similar to those used in actual exam. To get detailed information, you may open the link http://www.scribd.com/doc/29634176/Cambridge-Vocabulary-for-IELTS-2008.
- Know Your English offers you an IELTS vocabulary list by introducing words and expressing their meanings with the help of other words that have similar meanings. This is done by the matching questions for practice. To get more details, you can browse through the webpage http://www.knowyourenglish.com/vocabulary.php.
No doubt, you ought to consult these sources for preparing your own IELTS vocabulary list but it is equally important to memorize it. You can do this by creating your flashcards and learning one flashcard a day that may contain about 10 words. Revise the previous 10 words first before you begin to learn 10 more words on the next day. Thus, the mentioned links and tips will surely help you in strengthening your vocabulary.
Terms and Conditions
Information published in TestPrepPractice.net is provided for informational and educational purpose alone for deserving students, researchers and academicians. Though our volunteers take great amount of pain and spend significant time in validating the veracity of the information or study material presented here, we cannot be held liable for any incidental mistakes. All rights reserved. No information or study material in this web site can be reproduced or transmitted in any form, without our prior consent. However the study materials and web pages can be linked from your web site or web page for
- Academic purposes
No permission is required to link any of the web page with educational information available in this web site from your web site or web page