IELTS Preparation Materials
IELTS Preparation Materials for the Academic Module
International English Language Testing System (IELTS) tests your ability to read, write, listen and speak in English. It tests your abilities to comprehend English language through Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking test sections. You may be planning to go to an English speaking country to get admission to an educational institution for studying at a graduate or postgraduate level, or you may have the purpose of taking work training. You might also be having plans to migrate to another country. Thus, keeping these descriptions in mind, IELTS tests you according to two testing modules. They are the Academic module and General Training module.
Academic module assesses your ability to get admission to a college for higher-level studies in an English Speaking country. You have to take test for the Academic Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking test sections.
Academic Reading: This test section comprises three sections of the reading test. Each section includes 40 questions and the total time duration is 60 minutes.
Academic Writing: This test section consists of two writing tasks of 150 words and 250 words each. They are to be completed in 60 minutes.
Note: The Listening and Speaking test sections are same for the Academic module and General Training module. The General Training module evaluates those examinees who want to migrate to another country or need work related trainings.
You can practice some free sample questions from all the test sections of the Academic module of IELTS through the Official website of IELTS i.e. ielts.org.
1) Academic Reading
The academic reading test comprises Diagram-label questions, Multiple-choice questions, Identifying information, Identifying writer's views, Table completion, Matching headings etc.
- Diagram Label questions: These types of questions involve completing the labeling of a diagram based on your comprehension of the given reading excerpt. You may open the link http://www.ielts.org/PDF/Academic%20Reading%20sample%20task%20Diagram%20label%20completion.pdf for detailed information about these question types.
- Multiple-choice questions: These types of questions involve answering multiple-choice questions based on the passage. To reach free IELTS preparation materials for these question types, you may log on to the webpage http://www.ielts.org/PDF/Academic_Reading_sample_task_Multiple_choice.pdf.
- Identifying Information: For these questions, the paragraphs of the given reading text are marked in an alphabetic order followed by some pieces of information. You have to read the text and identify the sources of the pieces of information that are given in your question paper. If you want to get access to the free sample materials for these types of questions, you may browse through the webpage http://www.ielts.org/PDF/115013_academic_reading_sample_task_-_identifying_information__2_.pdf.
- Table Completion: Under this type of question, you have to complete the table that follows the given reading excerpt. The answers that fill up the blanks should not exceed the required word count. To reach free sample preparation materials for this type of question, you may glance through the webpage http://www.ielts.org/pdf/115018_Academic_Reading_sample_task_-_Table_completion__2_.pdf.
2) Academic Writing: This test comprises:
Writing task 1 that involves writing in your own words describing a visual presentation such as a chart or graph or table or diagram. This task is of 20 minutes duration.
Writing task 2 invites you to write on a topic and give reasons why you wrote in support or against the statement that was given with the topic.
If you want to get access to the free IELTS preparation materials for the writing task, you may consult the link http://www.ielts.org/test_takers_information/test_sample/academic_writing_sample.aspx.
The listening task is done with the help of recorded monologues and conversations, or MP3 audio files or transcripts. Based on listening, you have to approach form completion, multiple-choice, sentence completion, matching, diagram labeling and short answer questions. You may get access to the sample questions for the Listening section by referring to the link http://www.ielts.org/test_takers_information/test_sample/listening_sample.aspx.
This test is divided into three parts. In the first part, you have to introduce yourself. In the second part, you have to speak on a topic and in the third part, you have to discuss on the topic with the examiner. To arrive at free IELTS preparation materials for practicing speaking skill, you may open the link http://www.ielts.org/test_takers_information/test_sample/speaking_sample.aspx.
This discussion provides you with the valid links to reach free IELTS preparation materials for practice. They are very close to the actual questions that are asked in IELTS. However, if you are seeking more practice tests to score high in IELTS, you can choose to buy Official IELTS Practice Materials (with CD) Volume 1 and Official IELTS Practice Materials (with DVD) Volume 2 that are approved by the British Council, IDP: IELTS Australia and Cambridge ESOL.
Terms and Conditions
Information published in TestPrepPractice.net is provided for informational and educational purpose alone for deserving students, researchers and academicians. Though our volunteers take great amount of pain and spend significant time in validating the veracity of the information or study material presented here, we cannot be held liable for any incidental mistakes. All rights reserved. No information or study material in this web site can be reproduced or transmitted in any form, without our prior consent. However the study materials and web pages can be linked from your web site or web page for
- Academic purposes
No permission is required to link any of the web page with educational information available in this web site from your web site or web page