Free Downloads for IELTS Preparation
The IELTS is an international, standardized test designed to check the English language proficiency of the candidates who want to study or work in English speaking countries. Clearing IELTS is a must, if you want to study at tertiary level in many of the English speaking countries; if you want to migrate into some of the countries like Australia and Canada or if you want to get trained or study at below graduate level in any of the many English speaking countries, IELTS is a must again.
A number of online resources and books/booklets are available on IELTS, these days. While many of these provide general information on the exam and its pattern, there are a large number of resources dedicated for IELTS preparation. A few of the important IELTS resources and IELTS download materials are listed below.
Before taking IELTS, it is important that you understand about the test, its purpose, objective and different versions. Depending on your purpose, you could take either of the two versions of the test - Academic (for studying at tertiary level in a country where is English is the main spoken language) and General Training (to work, get trained, study at secondary school level or below, or migrate to an English speaking country). Both versions have four parts to test your abilities and skills in the basic areas of the English language communication, viz., Listening, Reading, Speaking, and Writing.
The official IELTS website is the best place to start with if you are planning to take IELTS in the near future (http://www.ielts.org). This is a well-organized information hub on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). The website is divided into specific sections for Candidates, Teachers, Researchers, and Institutions and provides all relevant information like the test format, FAQs, test dates, test locations, institutions recognizing IELTS, and sample IELTS download materials. The IELTS information booklet is a summary of all relevant IELTS details if you are a prospective candidate. It is available for free download at: http://www.ielts.org/PDF/Information_for_Candidates_booklet.pdf
Other relevant online information resources on IELTS include:
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IELTS - This is the Wikipedia entry on IELTS providing information in a nutshell.
- http://www.britishcouncil.org/brussels-exams-ielts.htm - This is the British Council page on IELTS providing links to materials, registration details, test recognition in US, etc.
- http://www.cambridgeesol.org/exams/ielts/index.html - The Cambridge ESOL page on IELTS provides various links useful while preparing for and taking the exam.
- https://www.teachers.cambridgeesol.org/ts/exams/academicenglish/ielts - This is the Cambridge ESOL page for Teachers. This page has much detailed information about the pattern and types of questions for each part of the IELTS exam.
There are many professional review courses available for IELTS preparation. However, you could study on your own, as there are a number of free materials available online and offline. Here is a list of 10 useful links for IELTS practice.
1. The official IELTS site has many sample/practice IELTS download materials you could use for free (http://www.ielts.org/test_takers_information/test_sample.aspx). Sample tests for all the four parts of the exam are available for practice; and answers to the tests are also provided.
2. The IELTS Overview page of the Cambridge ESOL Teachers section has very good information on IELTS and sample IELTS download materials on all the four sections of the exam. The sample questions and practice materials are available as PDF files and can be saved to your system for future offline usage. (https://www.teachers.cambridgeesol.org/ts/exams/academicenglish/ielts#prep)
3. The Road to IELTS is a free, online, self-preparatory course for IELTS from the British Council. This course lets you practice timed listening tests, develop writing skills, work on reading tests, and increase your vocabulary. You need to register for the course at: https://ielts.britishcouncil.org/R2IHome.aspx
4. The IDP IELTS site has free sample tasks and practice IELTS download materials for the benefit of test takers (http://www.ieltsessentials.com/prepare/sample_questions.aspx). IDP also has an IELTS Essentials guide for download which provides important information on the various aspects of the exam.
5. The Exam English site has some free online IELTS practice tests. These include listening, reading, writing tests and grammar and vocabulary exercises (http://www.aapress.com.au/ielts/english/study.html).
6. The CanadaVisa website has some free online tests for IELTS preparation (http://www.canadavisa.com/ielts/free-practice-tests.html). These contain practice questions for all the four parts of the exam.
7. Dominic Cole's IELTS blog has many links and resources useful for IELTS preparation. There is a separate section for downloadable materials for speaking, listening, reading and writing sections of the exam (http://www.dcielts.com/ielts-downloads/).
8. The IELTS-Blog is a site offering some free IELTS download materials for the writing section of the exam (http://www.ielts-blog.com/category/ielts-writing-samples/).
9. The StudyAU.com website has a collection of free IELTS download resources and links (http://www.ielts.studyau.com/).
Terms and Conditions
Information published in TestPrepPractice.net is provided for informational and educational purpose alone for deserving students, researchers and academicians. Though our volunteers take great amount of pain and spend significant time in validating the veracity of the information or study material presented here, we cannot be held liable for any incidental mistakes. All rights reserved. No information or study material in this web site can be reproduced or transmitted in any form, without our prior consent. However the study materials and web pages can be linked from your web site or web page for
- Academic purposes
No permission is required to link any of the web page with educational information available in this web site from your web site or web page