Like this Page
CLICK this button to recommend this page to Google.
What Good Is an IELTS Score of 6.5
IELTS Band Score of 6.5:
The IELTS band score determines a student's possibility to get into the best academic institutions and organizations. An IELTS 6.5 band score is a standard or an average band score that makes a test-taker a good user of the English language. It is a cut-off score, mostly set by colleges and organizations for recruiting IELTS test-takers. A band score of 6.5 in IELTS indicates that the test-taker has a good command over the English language and is eligible to apply for most professional courses and jobs. The band score of 6.5 roughly works out to a raw IELTS score of 26-29.
The IELTS 6.5 band score, works as a perimeter for selecting students for courses in reputed universities. IELTS 6.5 makes test takers eligible for seeking employment. A band score of 6.5 is considered as a good score and it establishes a student's competence in using the English language.
Importance of 6.5 IELTS Band Score:
IELTS 6.5 band score opens lots of institutions for you. The IELTS 6.5 band score describes you as proficient in Reading, Writing and Listening English language. It makes you stand out from the band scorers of 5 or below who have trouble speaking the language, unlike your 6.5 score, which makes you a capable speaker. A 6.5 band score is midway of band score of 6 (competent user) and a band score of 7 (good user).
A band score of IELTS 6.5 makes you a test taker who has efficiency in handling complex situations and indulges in intricate conversations. It shows that you may have some flaws and weaknesses while speaking or using the language. However, it demonstrates that you can cope up with occasional misunderstandings and misconception. It is for these qualities that your IELTS score of 6.5 becomes desirable and acceptable by universities and institutions.
Institutions Accepting IELTS 6.5 Band Score:
The IELTS 6.5 band score is an approximate score between B2 and C1 levels of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). The CEFR is a standard used to gauge accomplishment of scholars of foreign languages. There are many colleges and universities that accept your IELTS band score of 6.5. The top 10 colleges of US, UK, Canada and elsewhere, admitting band score of 6.5 are:
- Saint Louis University
- University of Illinois at Chicago
- Virginia Tech
- Glasgow University
- Exeter University
- Imperial College London
- Stuttgart University
- Polytechnic University of Turin
- University of Denver
- Pratt Institute
Significance of IELTS 6.5 Band Score for Immigrants:
While shifting your location completely to a new address in an English-speaking country, you may have to prove your ability to speak, write, hear and read the English language. Many countries, before admitting any foreign immigrant in their soil uses the IELTS 6.5 band score as an eligibility criterion. New Zealand, Canada and United Kingdom are such countries, which demand a band score of 6.5 in IELTS. Along with IELTS, some countries may have other criteria which we will discuss in the following:
- New Zealand: Previously, New Zealand required an IELTS score of 5 as a qualification band score to seek permanent residence. Test takers, failing to achieve this band score, had to pay a fee of $20000 which was fully or partially repaid back after fulfilling the 5 band score. At present, the required band score is 6.5 with a much reduced fee.
- Canada: When it comes to Canada, the test taker needs to have a band score of 6.5 in IELTS, and/or with Test d'évaluation du Français (TEF: a test for French for French immigrants). IELTS is used strictly for measuring the test takers' zeal in each of the test sections, namely the Writing, Reading, Listening and Speaking. A 6.5 band score in any of these four measures is enough to demonstrate your adequate efficiency in the particular measure.
- United Kingdom: Immigrants to the United Kingdom also need to have an IELTS band score of 6.5, which is equivalent to achieving 10 points for English language qualification as deemed suitable under UK's 'Points Based System Tier 1'.
The above discussion sheds light upon the importance, meaning and demand of IELTS 6.5 band score. You must remember that 6.5 is the minimum eligibility criterion in most of the institutions, universities and immigrations. However, it is always recommended to box a band score of 7 or higher for better prospects and placements.
Terms and Conditions
Information published in TestPrepPractice.net is provided for informational and educational purpose alone for deserving students, researchers and academicians. Though our volunteers take great amount of pain and spend significant time in validating the veracity of the information or study material presented here, we cannot be held liable for any incidental mistakes. All rights reserved. No information or study material in this web site can be reproduced or transmitted in any form, without our prior consent. However the study materials and web pages can be linked from your web site or web page for
- Academic purposes
No permission is required to link any of the web page with educational information available in this web site from your web site or web page