Pros and Cons of Different Registration Methods
Registration for the GRE test can be done through online, phone, mail or fax. You can register GRE test through the online system, mail or phone if you want to take the test in Canada, U.S, Guam, Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands. If you are taking the test outside the U.S, you are allowed to register for the test through mail, online system, phone or fax. Only the online registration method is allowed if you are living in Hong Kong, Mainland China, Korea or Taiwan and wish to take the GRE test. This article discusses the pros and cons of the different methods available to register GRE test.
Online Registration for the GRE Test
One of the most widely chosen methods to register GRE test is through the online option at the ETS website https://mygre.ets.org/greweb/login/login.jsp using your 'My GRE Account.'
- Online registration option is available for both the computer-based as well as paper-based GRE tests.
- Online registration option allows you to pay the test fee through a valid credit card/debit card/E-Check/PayPal, whichever is applicable and convenient.
- You will get the registration acknowledgement and the test admission ticket instantly from the comfort of your computer system from where you register.
- Online registration is not acceptable for people with disabilities or health problems. You can refer to the ETS website http://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/register/disabilities/ if you need further information regarding the registration procedures allowed for the disabled test takers and the disability accommodations.
- Online registration is not allowed for the test takers living in Nigeria.
GRE Registration through Phone
You can register GRE test through your phone by directly calling the GRE test center or prometric services at least 2 days before the preferred test date. Refer to the ETS website (http://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/register/cbt/) to get the phone numbers of the GRE test center or prometric services.
- You will be given the registration confirmation number, the test center address and the reporting time when you make the call.
- Registration through phone allows you to pay the test fee through a valid credit card/debit card/voucher number.
- Phone registration is available only for the computer-based GRE test, and not for the paper-based test.
- You cannot register through the phone if you are living in Hong Kong/Korea/Mainland China/Taiwan.
GRE Registration through Mail
You can register GRE test through mail by posting the 'Authorization Voucher Request Form' that you can download from the ETS website (http://www.ets.org/s/gre/pdf/cbt_authorization_voucher_form.pdf), to the address given on the form.
Mail registration option is available for both the computer-based and paper-based GRE tests.
- You can pay the test fee through certified check/money order that can be posted along with 'Authorization Voucher Request Form'.
- You can schedule an appointment for the test by calling the ETS, when you receive the voucher.
- You can request the ETS for a replacement voucher in case you lose the received voucher.
- You must schedule an appointment for the test before the expiration date indicated on the voucher.
- Only one replacement voucher can be requested. That is, if you lose your voucher for the second time, you cannot request for a replacement voucher again.
- Mail registration is not accepted if you are taking the test in Hong Kong/Taiwan/ Korea/Mainland China.
GRE Registration through Fax
You can register GRE test through fax by sending the 'International Test Scheduling Form' that can be downloaded from the ETS website (http://www.ets.org/s/gre/pdf/intl_test_scheduling_form.pdf), to the applicable Regional Registration Center (RRC) at least 7 days before the test date you prefer.
- Registration through fax is allowed if you are taking the test outside the U.S.
- You can use a valid credit card/debit card/voucher number to pay the test fee.
- You will get the registration confirmation number, the test center address and the reporting time through fax, e-mail or mail.
- You can schedule an appointment for the test by calling the RRC at least 3 days before your preferred test date.
- You cannot request for a test fee refund if you miss your test appointment and fail to notify the RRC.
- Fax registration is not applicable for test takers in Taiwan/Korea/ Mainland China/ Hong Kong.
It is recommended that you know the pros and cons of the different registration methods available, so that you can choose the suitable method to register GRE test. To gather more information regarding the different GRE registration methods, you can refer to the ETS websites http://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/register/cbt/ and http://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/register/pbt/.
Terms and Conditions
Information published in TestPrepPractice.net is provided for informational and educational purpose alone for deserving students, researchers and academicians. Though our volunteers take great amount of pain and spend significant time in validating the veracity of the information or study material presented here, we cannot be held liable for any incidental mistakes. All rights reserved. No information or study material in this web site can be reproduced or transmitted in any form, without our prior consent. However the study materials and web pages can be linked from your web site or web page for
- Academic purposes
No permission is required to link any of the web page with educational information available in this web site from your web site or web page