Register for GRE
Step-by-step GRE Exam Registration Guide
The GRE revised General Test is conducted in over 700 test centers in about 160 countries around the world. The test is offered in two formats: Computer-based and Paper-based. The computer-based test is held throughout the year in most regions of the world, and 1 or 2 times in certain regions. The paper-based test is administered 3 times each year in locations where the computer-based test format is not offered.
You can take the GRE test anywhere amongst the available test centers and locations. You can register for GRE test using the following three methods in most of the test locations:
Register for the computer-based/paper-based test through the online registration method using your 'My GRE Account'.
Register for the computer-based test through the phone registration method by directly calling the test center or prometric services.
Register for the computer-based/paper-based test through the mail registration method by posting the application form to the address printed on the application form.
When you make Online Registration for GRE...
Online registration is allowed for both the computer-based and the paper-based GRE tests. The step-by-step procedure to register for GRE through the online option is as follows:
- Step 1: Create your 'My GRE Account'. This step is very important if you want to register online for the test.
- Step 2: Go the ETS website http://www.ets.org/bin/getprogram.cgi?test=gre and choose the Country/Location and city in which you want to take the test, based on this information you will come to know whether you can take the computer-based or the paper-based test.
- Step 3: Go to the ETS website https://mygre.ets.org/greweb/login/login.jsp and sign in using the User Name and Password of your 'My GRE Account' in order to register for GRE test.
- Step 4: Fill in the online GRE application form. When filling the application, ensure that you provide your name as it is in the ID proof that you will take with you during the test.
- Step 5: The ETS allows you to pay for the GRE test through a valid credit card/debit card. You can also make the payment through E-Check or PayPal. Choose the payment option, whichever is applicable or convenient for you.
- Step 6: After you have registered online for the test successfully, you will get the test admission ticket and acknowledgement instantly. It is recommended that you take a print copy of the admission ticket.
When you Register for GRE through Phone...
Phone registration is allowed for only the computer-based GRE test. The step-by-step procedure to register for GRE through your phone is as follows:
- Step 1: Just call the GRE test center or prometric services to register for the test. Make sure you provide only the correct information as requested by the test center/Prometric service official, who attends your call. To get the phone numbers of the GRE test center or prometric services, you can visit the ETS website (http://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/register/cbt/).
- Step 2: Note down the registration confirmation number given to you during the call. You will also be given the test center address and reporting time.
- Step 3: The ETS permits you to pay the test fee through a usable credit/debit card or a voucher number.
When you Register for GRE through Mail...
Mail registration is allowed for both the computer-based and the paper-based GRE tests. The step-by-step procedure to register for GRE through post or courier is as follows:
- Step 1: Fill the 'Authorization Voucher Request Form' that can be downloaded from the ETS website http://www.ets.org/s/gre/pdf/cbt_authorization_voucher_form.pdf.
- Step 2: Fill the form carefully and correctly, and post it along with the required payment in the form of check/money order to the address specified on the form.
- Step 3: Call the ETS to fix an appointment for the test as soon as you receive your voucher. Make sure to do this before the expiration date specified on the voucher.In case, you lose your voucher, you can request the ETS for a replacement voucher.
You can register for GRE test using any of these three methods (whichever is applicable), if you want to take the test in the U.S, Canada, and a few other locations. You can also register for the GRE through fax if you are taking the test outside the U.S. In some locations, such as Hong Kong and Korea, only online registration is allowed. However, online registration is not allowed for people with disabilities/health-related issues. You can refer to the ETS website http://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/register/disabilities/ to know more details about the Disability Accommodations and GRE registration procedures for disabled people. To know further details about the different GRE registration methods, you can refer to the ETS websites http://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/register/cbt/ and http://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/register/pbt/.
Terms and Conditions
Information published in TestPrepPractice.net is provided for informational and educational purpose alone for deserving students, researchers and academicians. Though our volunteers take great amount of pain and spend significant time in validating the veracity of the information or study material presented here, we cannot be held liable for any incidental mistakes. All rights reserved. No information or study material in this web site can be reproduced or transmitted in any form, without our prior consent. However the study materials and web pages can be linked from your web site or web page for
- Academic purposes
No permission is required to link any of the web page with educational information available in this web site from your web site or web page