GRE Preparatory Methods
Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is taken by those who are willing to join graduate schools in the US, Canada, the UK and in many other leading countries. Preparing for the test is a challenging task. You need to have adequate study materials and a lot of practice to crack this exam. This article will give you an idea of how to prepare and how to make use of available resources while you prepare for the exam.
Do I really need to prepare for GRE?
You may have a rich English vocabulary and be strong at your concepts of mathematics. However, you still need to be serious when you prepare for the test. Reasons for this are quite obvious:
- You want to join your dream university in the US or in any other leading country and they would give you admission only if you score high in the test.
- There are thousands of students like you who have similar motivation but the universities can not accommodate each one of you.
- The GRE is conducted by the ETS (Educational Testing Services), one of the biggest and renowned organizations of the world, which knows exactly how to judge your aptitude.
- Aptitude test of English language as well as a test on quantitative reasoning requires you to first understand the given information correctly, process it and come to the correct answers within the stipulated time. This can not be achieved unless you have prepared according to the test syllabus.
Step by Step Preparation for GRE
- Do your homework well about the universities of your choice. Get all possible feedbacks from your friends or through the internet as to what are their score cut offs and minimum undergraduate GPA requirements. Shortlist a minimum of four to five such universities and always have a couple of universities in mind that can accommodate you if you do not get high GRE scores.
- Decide on the test center of your choice and the test date of
- Register as soon as possible and schedule your GRE appointment at the test center of your choice.
- Collect adequate study materials required for the preparation.
- Joining a preparatory course will help you with your preparation.
- Prepare a study timetable giving equal time to every section of the test.
- Understand the exam pattern in great detail.
- Study all the concepts required for the examination.
- Enrich your knowledge of the English vocabulary.
- Solve as many practice questions as possible.
- Take as many mock tests as possible.
- Keep all the documents that will be required at the test center ready.
- Take adequate rest on the night prior to the actual test date.
- Just think of doing well on the day of the test and put in your best.
Go to page: Prepare For Gre - Page 1: How To Prepare For The Gre - Page 2