Preparing For The GRE Verbal Reasoning Section
Guidance for GRE Verbal Preparation
GRE Verbal Section
In the Verbal Reasoning section of the test, you will find two sections. If you want to score high in the test, it is important that you get a high score in the verbal sub-sections as these scores will contribute to the final score. You need to be aware of the format of these sections because this is the best way to ensure that you are preparing for the exam in the right way. The three types of tasks that you will find in this part of the exam are
- Reading comprehension
- Text completion
- Sentence equivalence
In the reading comprehension task, you will be required to give your answers to the questions that are related to the text provided. The text completion task is where you will have to fill in missing phrases or words from a passage. Finally, the sentence equivalence task is where you will have to select equivalent phrases or words for the purpose of completing a sentence. You have to start the preparation of verbal section a long time before you take the exam as this is the best way to ensure that you get a high score.
Reading Comprehension Tips
- One very important tip for verbal preparation is to write your answers on relevant information that is given in the passage. You should not take the outside information into account. It is important for you to realize that the questions that will be asked will be based only on the information that is provided.
- In case there is a difficult question that you are not sure of, skip it and work on other questions first. You can come back to it once you are done with the other tasks.
- Do keep in mind that the first as well as the last sentence of each of the paragraphs will give you clues. This will help you when it comes to the preparation for the reading comprehension task.
- You need to learn how to recognize important phrases or words that will help you understand the meaning of each passage.
- Once you have completed all the questions, you should check the answers carefully. This should be done so as to ensure that you have not made any errors.
Text Completion and Sentence Equivalence Tips
- You should work on the sentences by selecting a word or phrase that you think is the most appropriate. You can also search for synonyms, if they are available.
- Another verbal preparation tip is to understand that the candidates will be required to choose equivalent words. It is important that you take into account those options that will go well with the sentence. So think properly before you make your selection.
- You have to re-read the sentences you have worked on to ensure that they are correct grammatically and they are also practical.
Keep in Mind...
It is important for you to realize that in order to get good scores in the Verbal Reasoning section you need to undertake preparation. It takes time for you to understand the format of the test well and you also need to practice on a regular basis so that you will have a good idea about what to expect during the examination. Ideally, it is a good idea if you can spend at least two months to study for this test. Now when it comes to the study materials, you will find that there are so many options available to you such as online courses, books and local coaching classes. Of course, you will also find that there are many websites that offer free practice tests to candidates who are looking for free mock tests. You can work on these tests without paying any money and prepare for the examination. You will also find the answers to the questions offered in the website for your reference.
Terms and Conditions
Information published in TestPrepPractice.net is provided for informational and educational purpose alone for deserving students, researchers and academicians. Though our volunteers take great amount of pain and spend significant time in validating the veracity of the information or study material presented here, we cannot be held liable for any incidental mistakes. All rights reserved. No information or study material in this web site can be reproduced or transmitted in any form, without our prior consent. However the study materials and web pages can be linked from your web site or web page for
- Academic purposes
No permission is required to link any of the web page with educational information available in this web site from your web site or web page