GRE Subject Test
GRE Subject Tests- What They Test and Why
GRE Subject Test
This is basically a test that will help you show to the graduate schools your knowledge on a specific subject. This is the examination that will show that you are better than the other candidates by highlighting your skill and knowledge in a certain field. Apart from the Revised General Test, you can consider taking the Subject Test in the subject that you will be majoring in. The graduate schools do not require you to take this test but many candidates take it because it distinguishes them from the other candidates by showing that they are serious about their education and future. It takes 170 minutes to take each of the subjects and they are generally taken by those students who wish to get admission in a good graduate school.
Why Take the GRE Subject Test?
The most important reason why candidates take the Subject Test in GRE is because they want the admission department to see that they are serious about their future and they have it in them to do well in their higher education. Moreover, most colleges consider the result of this too at the time of admission as they want to accept students who are good in their respective fields. Needless to say, the score of this test will certainly help the applicant.
Available GRE Subject Tests
Here are the subjects that you can consider:
- Biology: You will find around 200 multiple-choice questions and these will be related to three main areas: ecology and evolution, organismal biology and cellular and molecular biology.
- Biochemistry, Cell and Molecular Biology: You will find 175 multiple-choice questions in this subject and these are related to molecular biology, biochemistry and cell biology. The questions here will require you to have knowledge about the subject and problem-solving skills.
- Chemistry: In this test, you will have to work on about 130 multiple choice questions here relating to physical chemistry, organic chemistry, inorganic chemistry and analytical chemistry.
- Mathematics: There are 66 multiple-choice questions in this subject and half of them will be related to calculus and its applications. The other problems will be related to algebra and mathematics that are studied by undergraduates in educational institutions.
- Computer Science: There are 70 multiple-choice questions in this test and these will be related to computer organization, computer architecture, software systems, software methodology, computer graphics, etc.
- Literature in English: This is the test where you will find around 230 questions that will be based on short story, drama, poetry, literary theory, etc. The literature in English is drawn from the U.S, the British Isles and other regions of the world. You may also find questions on some major works, such as the Bible.
- Psychology: In this test, you will find 205 multiple-choice questions. In each of the questions, you will find five options from which you will have to choose the right one. These questions are related to courses that are offered in undergraduate schools.
- Physics: This is the test where you will find around 100 multiple-choice questions and these are based on depiction of physical situations, graphs, experimental data and diagrams. You need to be familiar with certain mathematical methods and the application of the same in Physics.
The Subject Test in GRE is an examination that can be taken in various official test centers all around the world. The result of this test is accepted by various graduate schools and while it may not be a requirement at the time of admission in colleges, taking this test will certainly make you stand out from the rest of the candidates. Just make sure that you take this test only when you are sure you are good at a specific subject because there is no use taking a test on a subject that you are not really good at.
Terms and Conditions
Information published in TestPrepPractice.net is provided for informational and educational purpose alone for deserving students, researchers and academicians. Though our volunteers take great amount of pain and spend significant time in validating the veracity of the information or study material presented here, we cannot be held liable for any incidental mistakes. All rights reserved. No information or study material in this web site can be reproduced or transmitted in any form, without our prior consent. However the study materials and web pages can be linked from your web site or web page for
- Academic purposes
No permission is required to link any of the web page with educational information available in this web site from your web site or web page