Study Guides for GRE
5 Essentials of a Good GRE Study Guide
Good study books are a scarce resource. A good study guide is essential to preparing well for the test.
5 Essentials of a Good GRE Study Guide
A good guide book will:
- Contain an overview of all the topics that come in the exam along with solved examples.
- Have a large number of practice questions and practice tests.
- Be written in a student-friendly manner.
- Be self-explanatory.
- Have helpful tips and strategies for successfully attempting the test.
The Best GRE Study Guides
It is advised that you own at least one of the study guides discussed here to supplement your preparation.
- The Official Guide to the GRE revised General Test - by ETS: Since this guide is published by the developers of the test themselves, it is the correct resource for clearing all doubts about the content of the test as well as the types of questions that are asked in the exam. It is one the best guides you can consult. The book is available as an eBook and also as a paperback with both versions costing $35. The paperback comes with a CD ROM which has the PowerPrep software and the eBook provides you with the requisite directions on downloading this software from the ETS website. The software contains a full length practice test which simulates the test-taking experience for the user. The book has hundreds of practice questions with solutions that you can use to prepare for the test along with tips and strategies for acing the test.
- Barron's New GRE 19th Edition - Barron: Barron's New GRE is actually the most popular of all prep books. For $17.99, you will get a comprehensive overview of all kinds of questions that will be asked in the GRE revised General Test, practice questions, detailed solutions along with explanations, one diagnostic test and two model tests. Barron's is praised for focusing more on higher level questions and its difficulty level is said to be much higher than of other books. Also, the word list given in the book is very helpful for improving your vocabulary for the Verbal Reasoning section of the exam.
- New GRE 2011-2012 Premier with CD-ROM - Kaplan: Kaplan charges $34.99 for this hefty book that is accompanied by a CD-ROM. The book introduces you to the changes in the revised test and then explains the question types. All questions are accompanied with solutions. There are 400+ practice questions in the book as well as a model test paper. The CD-ROM provides you with access to several online test preparation resources along with five more model test papers. There are also ten sets of questions for both, the Verbal Reasoning section and the Quantitative Analysis section. Scored responses to Analytical Writing questions are also given in the CD-ROM.
- Cracking the New GRE with DVD, 2012 Edition - The Princeton Review The Princeton Review is one of the most popular companies when it comes to good preparatory books. They have priced their book at $34.99. This book is famous for having a very good Verbal Reasoning section as well a very comprehensive overview of the Math section. The book has hundreds of practice questions on all three sections of the exam along with two practice tests. The DVD will provide you with access to two more practice tests online. A unique feature of this book is that its accompanying DVD contains tutorials on several aspects of the exam.
Other books that can be consulted as guides for GRE are Gruber's Complete GRE Guide 2012, Cliff Notes Math Review for Standardized Tests 2nd Edition and Crash Course for GRE by The Princeton Review.
Terms and Conditions
Information published in TestPrepPractice.net is provided for informational and educational purpose alone for deserving students, researchers and academicians. Though our volunteers take great amount of pain and spend significant time in validating the veracity of the information or study material presented here, we cannot be held liable for any incidental mistakes. All rights reserved. No information or study material in this web site can be reproduced or transmitted in any form, without our prior consent. However the study materials and web pages can be linked from your web site or web page for
- Academic purposes
No permission is required to link any of the web page with educational information available in this web site from your web site or web page