GRE Preparation Materials
GRE Preparation Materials that You Should Not Miss!
GRE is a standardized exam that measures your skills and abilities as against the skills required for graduate level study programs. The questions in this test are grouped under three key areas of verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, and analytical writing areas. It is an accepted fact that it requires careful study and dedicated practice for cracking the GRE revised General Test. From traditional books to review programs and online classes, there are different GRE preparation materials that can help you get ready for this test. Here is a list of free GRE preparation materials for you, including books, practice tests, and software packages.
GRE Preparation Books, Guides, and Practice Tests
Some of the most popular free GRE preparation materials are from ETS, the creators of GRE. These include:
1. Practice Book for the Paper-based GRE revised General Test: This is a book providing life -like, simulated experience of the traditional or paper-based GRE. Apart from explanations, questions, a test paper, and information on the scoring procedure, it also contains some test-taking strategies and tips. This practice book can be downloaded as a PDF file from http://www.ets.org/s/gre/pdf/practice_book_GRE_pb_revised_general_test.pdf.
2. Math Review: This is a guide intended for the Quantitative Reasoning section of the test, covering reviews of relevant mathematical concepts. In addition to definitions, examples, and properties, this PDF book also includes exercises for each of the sections. You may download the book at: http://www.ets.org/s/gre/pdf/gre_math_review.pdf.
Apart from the ETS publications, you may find many other online books and manuals for GRE preparation. Some of these are:
3. Master the GRE CAT: This book by Arco is one of the comprehensive GRE preparation materials available for free download. In addition to topic reviews, exercises, and practice tests, this book contains topics on the GRE test, test-taking strategies, and word lists. Answer keys and explanations are provided for the questions. The book can be downloaded from http://www.onestopgre.com/ebooks/grecat.pdf.
4. GREBible Study Kits: This study kit contains three different types of preparation materials for different sections of GRE. It includes formulae for the quantitative section, essay questions of different types for the analytical writing section, and some sections on vocabulary building. The kits can be downloaded from: http://www.grebible.com/download.htm.
5. Advanced GRE Math Questions: This collection of questions for the quantitative reasoning section is published by the University of British Columbia. The collection can be downloaded from: http://cstudies.ubc.ca/test-preparation/resources/GRE/Advanced%20GRE%20Math%20Questions.pdf.
GRE Preparation Software Programs
Apart from books and practice questions, software packages are also popular among the types of GRE preparation materials. The most popular and authentic one among these is from the developers of the test, ETS. Listed here are a few of these software programs for GRE preparation:
1. POWERPREP II: This is a comprehensive GRE prep material from ETS that can be downloaded and installed onto your system with least effort (http://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/prepare/powerprep2/). The contents of this package include topics on Analytical Writing, a review of math concepts, and previously scored essays with their reviewers' comments.
2. Timewise GRE Vocabulary Software: Intended to improve your vocabulary, this GRE prep software offers a unique and effective methodology for learning and memorizing new words. Two separate programs are included in this package called Smart Deck and Recallculator. The software package can be downloaded from: http://www.grevocabulary.com/software.html.
3. GRE Desktop Software: This software from Nova Press is another comprehensive GRE package you can rely on. In addition to in-depth reviews of topics, new question types of the GRE revised General Test are also included in this package (http://novapress.net/gre/gre-prep/gre-software/).
GRE Practice Tests Online
Practice tests hold a vital position among GRE preparation materials. Here are a few of the online practice tests that can be accessed and used free of charges:
- The Princeton Review (TPR): TPR offers free GRE practice tests, which help you grasp an overall idea about the exam, as well as make you realize where you stand in terms of your preparations. You may take the practice test online at: http://www.princetonreview.com/grad/free-gre-practice-test.aspx.
- Test Prep Review: Test Prep Review offers practice tests for various areas of the GRE test, like vocabulary, analogies, antonyms, or basic math. You may find these tests at: http://www.testprepreview.com/gre_practice.htm"> .
- LearnWordList.com: The website has a number of vocabulary tests that can be useful for improving your GRE vocabulary (http://learnwordlist.com/tests/).
This list of online sources is not comprehensive in nature. You may find hundreds of more online sources for GRE preparation. However, it is important that you understand about the GRE test, its structure and content, and the question types thoroughly before you start your preparations. This helps you evaluate the GRE preparation materials more objectively and choose the best type of resources for your needs.
Terms and Conditions
Information published in TestPrepPractice.net is provided for informational and educational purpose alone for deserving students, researchers and academicians. Though our volunteers take great amount of pain and spend significant time in validating the veracity of the information or study material presented here, we cannot be held liable for any incidental mistakes. All rights reserved. No information or study material in this web site can be reproduced or transmitted in any form, without our prior consent. However the study materials and web pages can be linked from your web site or web page for
- Academic purposes
No permission is required to link any of the web page with educational information available in this web site from your web site or web page