Online Registration for GRE
GRE Online Registration- Method, Pros and Cons
The GRE is the Graduate Record Examination. You need to take this test if you want to study in a graduate school in the USA, as most of the colleges will consider your GRE scores, when you apply for admission. The test is conducted at official test centers around the world. There are two types of the test. One is the computer-based test; the other is the paper-based test. The computer-based test is conducted multiple times throughout the year, whereas the paper-based test is conducted up to three times in a year. It is available at those locations which do not offer the computer-based test. You can register for the test by different methods such as online registration, registration by mail, fax and phone. In this article, the method, and pros and cons of online registration are described.
Method of Online Registration for the GRE:
For online registration, you have to first of all decide whether you want to apply for accommodations for the test, or for fee reductions. You also need to decide if you are going to need standby testing or Monday testing. If you need any of these, or if you are planning to take the test in Nigeria, you will not be permitted to apply for online registration.
The first step of the registration is to create a 'My GRE Account'. ETS accepts payment for the test via certain credit or debit cards only. Before you begin the online registration process, you should check whether the mode of payment that you are planning to use is valid or not. You should also go through the list of available test centers and dates and make your selection. You can use the following link to create a 'My GRE Account' and to register online for the test: https://mygre.ets.org/greweb/login/login.jsp?WT.ac=gre_revised_r_btn.
Pros and Cons of Online Registration for GRE:
Online registration for GRE has many benefits as opposed to other methods of registration for the test. These are as follows:
- Online registration is very convenient. If you have access to a computer and the internet, you can register for the test from just about anywhere, at any time.
- You can check the availability of the test centers and test dates just before you register. The seats for the test are offered on a first-come first-served basis. If there is a gap of some time between when you checked seat availability and when you register, it is possible that the seat you want may no longer be available. With online registration, you can avoid this difficulty.
- Online registration is available for both the computer-based and the paper-based versions of the test.
Online registration for GRE has its drawbacks as well. It cannot be used under certain conditions. These are as follows:
- For those who want accommodations for a disability or a health-related condition.
- For those who want a fee reduction.
- For standby testing. Standby testing is a facility offered to those who want to take a test at a particular center and on a particular date, but were unable to register for it in the usual way. If a seat is available at that center, then you may be permitted to take the test at that time. You have to register by bringing a registration form that you have completed. You cannot register online for this.
- For Monday testing. You can utilize this facility if you belong to a recognized religious community, whose beliefs do not permit you to take the test on a Saturday.
- For those taking the test in Nigeria.
If these conditions do not apply to you, then you can take advantage of the facility of online registration. It will be simpler and more convenient than the other methods of registration.
Terms and Conditions
Information published in TestPrepPractice.net is provided for informational and educational purpose alone for deserving students, researchers and academicians. Though our volunteers take great amount of pain and spend significant time in validating the veracity of the information or study material presented here, we cannot be held liable for any incidental mistakes. All rights reserved. No information or study material in this web site can be reproduced or transmitted in any form, without our prior consent. However the study materials and web pages can be linked from your web site or web page for
- Academic purposes
No permission is required to link any of the web page with educational information available in this web site from your web site or web page