Reviews of Books for GMAT
The best GMAT review books and how they can help you to score high?
In order to crack the GMAT, one needs to utilize resources from various media viz internet, books, mobile phone, group study, consultation with experienced people etc. But the most vital of the media are the books. One can either buy them from book stores or can access them in the form of e-books.
Some of the best books are mentioned below:
Books in print:
- The Official Guide for GMAT Review: When one plans to carry out the test preparation, one should be sure to include The Official Guide for GMAT Review in their review list. This is one of the most recommended books available in print as well as in an electronic form (CD is available for taking online simulated tests). It has been written by the GMAC (Graduate Management Admission Council), published by John Wiley & Sons and is marketed by Wiley, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, etc. The 12th edition of this book can be accessed through i-phone, i-pad and i-pod too. This edition contains 800 actual test questions. Besides, a grammar review, a math review and actual test essays are mentioned in this book. In addition, scoring information is mentioned in the book.
- Barron’s How to Prepare for the GMAT: This book has been written by Eugene D. Jaffe & Stephen Hilbert. This is one of the ‘must be referred to book'. It contains a set of typical questions from each section along with their answers and analysis. Every topic of the Verbal Ability section, Quantitative Ability section and the Analytical Writing Assessment section has been discussed in detail. Besides, five full-length practice sets with their answers and analysis have been mentioned in the book.
- The Princeton GMAT Books’ Review: Cracking the GMAT which has been created and published by Princeton Review contains not only the previous question sets but also about 200 practice sets. Besides, proven strategies and techniques are mentioned to crack the test. One can even go online for full length practice sets using the CD available with the book. The other books created by Princeton Review are The 1,012 GMAT Practice Questions (contains questions with their full explanations), The Verbal Workout for the GMAT (contains Verbal Ability section questions with full explanations), The Math Workout for the GMAT (contains Quantitative Ability section questions with full explanations), The Best 300 Business Schools, 2011 edition, etc.
- The Kaplan GMAT Books’ Review: Kaplan has written various books for GMAT preparation. One such book, Kaplan GMAT 2012 premier (with CD) is one of the best books for GMAT which can really help an aspirant to score high. It explains the basic principles, strategies to solve problems, and full length practice sets to tackle each of the major sections (Verbal Ability, Analytical Ability and Writing Assessment section). Kaplan 2011- Strategies, Practice and Review includes basic principles of the major sections of the GMAT exam. Besides, strategies are mentioned to efficiently handle these sections within a limited time. In addition, various practice tests along with their answers and explanations are mentioned in the book. A new edition Kaplan GMAT 2012 has been recently introduced. Kaplan GMAT 800 8th edition is suitable for above average students who are done with the basic book of Kaplan. In addition, Kaplan Verbal Workbook and Math Workbook prove to be useful guides for GMAT aspirants.
- The Manhattan GMAT Books Review: Manhattan GMAT Set of 8 Strategy Guides, 4th edition is one of the best basic books for GMAT preparation. This one includes strategies to solve problems and to save time during the exam. Besides, it contains harder topics from the Quantitative section which is good for above average students. The Verbal section is equally good. In addition, Sentence Correction GMAT Preparation Guide, 4th edition (sentence correction problems are covered in depth), Advanced GMAT Quant (GMAT Strategy Guides) is one of the most advanced books of GMAT for the Quantitative section. It explains different approaches to solve difficult Quantitative problems and is capable enough to bring one towards the 90th percentile. Manhattan GMAT Flashcards is one of the best flashcards set available to get a tight grip on English vocabulary for GMAT, and is available on Amazon Kindle as an e-book.
- The Peterson’s Logic and Reading Review for the GMAT:
As the name suggests, Peterson’s book is aimed at getting a tight grip on the Verbal section of GMAT.
Books available online:
One can delve into the following websites to access the content of online materials.http://www.princetonreview.com/business/gmat-test-preparation http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT/GMAT-Prep http://www.mba.com/the-gmat/download-free-test-preparation-software.aspx http://gmatclub.com/marketplace/index.xhtml https://grockit.com/landing/india/gmat
One has to work smartly to crack exam and this is impossible to achieve without meticulous planning to select the best books for preparation. In order to proceed, one has to peruse numerous websites, has to consult experts, peers and former achievers to get a list of books to start with. This is both time taking and tiring. The article thus, aims at making this task easier for aspirants by referring to the books (both in print and online) that have been mentioned in detail.