GHSGT: Test Preparation
A high school diploma is meant to endorse the knowledge and skills of the diploma holder and certify that they are of the level that is expected of high school graduates. This makes it important that a high school diploma is granted to a student only after he has been able to prove that his abilities, knowledge and skills are of the required level. The GHSGT (Georgia High School Graduation Tests) is an examination of your performance that will decide whether or not you are capable of earning a high school diploma from Georgia. All students studying in high schools across the state of Georgia will have to pass the test along with the Georgia High School Writing Assessment before they can be considered eligible for grant of a high school diploma. Moreover, the performances of the test-takers in the English Language Arts and Mathematics high school tests are used to measure Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) under the No Child Left Behind legislation.
How difficult is it to pass the GHSGT?
High school students carry out their studies with the aim of earning a high school diploma. Their performance in the test helps the school authorities in identifying those students who will need additional coaching and training to bring their knowledge and skills to the level that is essential for earning a high school diploma from the state of Georgia. This fact makes it evident that there is no need to face the test with anxiety and fear. Look at it as an aid that will help you in gauging your strengths and weaknesses with respect to the core subjects taught to you in high school. This kind of an approach towards the GHSGT will help you in clearing your apprehensions regarding the test and you will realize that it is not all that difficult to pass the exam.
The content tested by the GHSGT is of high school level. You will take the assessment for the first time in your eleventh grade. By such time a lot of the test content would already have been covered during your high school curriculum. If you have been regular with your high school studies, then you will not find it difficult to pass the test. The following aspects of preparing for the exam will make it easier for you to pass the test:
- Thorough knowledge of the test content being assessed by the GHSGT
- Practice in solving problems specific to the format
- Familiarity with the format
Is Some Form of Coaching Necessary to pass the GHSGT?
You will have to carry out a self assessment prior to taking the test to find out your level of knowledge and skills. If you meet one or more of the following criteria, then you will require some form of external assistance or additional instruction for passing the exam.
- Inability to pass the GHSGT: Special coaching workshops and classes are held in schools for the students who fail to qualify in the test. Check from your teachers at school about any such classes and workshops being held. Attend them and use them to your advantage. Attending such classes is a must if you have failed to score the passing scores in one or more of the tests. It is unlikely that you will be able to pass the same test when you retake it without taking any remedial action.
- Lack of self confidence: If you are unsure of your proficiency with the subject areas being assessed by the GHSGT, then you will need some additional instructions to help you in improving upon your weaknesses. This additional instruction is generally provided in the high school campus itself. Another way to boost this confidence is to pay special attention while attending your classes in school. Being regular in your high school studies will help you immensely in boosting your self confidence for passing the test at the earliest.
- Lack of awareness: If you are not aware of the test format, then also you will need external assistance which may not necessarily be in the form of additional instructions; rather you will need to discuss with your teachers and find out all aspects of taking the exam. Understand the types of questions that will be asked and you can take your teachers’ help in identifying the best method for answering them. It will be a good idea to get in touch with others who have successfully passed the test. There would be a lot of such students in your neighbourhood as passing the test is mandatory for earning a high school diploma. These students will be able to provide you with valuable guidance about the types of questions that will be asked in the exam and the best way to answer them. You can also seek their advice for the best method for preparing for the test along with some tips for doing well in it.
Is it a Mistake to Prepare for the GHSGT by Studying on One’s Own?
It is absolutely possible to pass the test by studying on your own. You can work out a study routine and prepare for the test on your own provided you have:
- Good quality study materials: Make sure that you have a good collection of study materials apart from your high school books for assisting you in carrying out an extensive review of the content that will be tested by the GHSGT. The study materials apart from your high school books would be study guides that are specially written with the aim of helping you to prepare for the exam. Such study guides consist of sample questions similar to the ones that will be asked in the test. This will familiarize you with the test format and you will know what to expect on the test date.
- Easy access to internet: You will easily be able to prepare for the assessment on your own if you have access to the internet. Not only is the internet an excellent source for a wide variety of prep materials, you will also be able to access useful information like description of the test format.
- Good knowledge of the test content: If you are confident of your knowledge of the test content and you have been doing fairly well in your high school studies, then you will be able to do well in the test by studying on your own. However, this does not mean that you don’t need to study for the exam. You will need to review all that you have learnt in school and also review the test content that you may be unfamiliar with.
Where can one get Useful Materials to Prepare for GHSGT?
The most useful prep materials are your high school books. Remember that the test is an evaluation of your knowledge and skills that you should ideally have acquired while carrying out high school studies. Hence, you should know your high school books like the back of your hand. Since your high school books may not contain questions specific to the test format, you can look around for study guides that contain sample questions similar to the ones that will be asked in the question paper. Such guides will be available in bookstores and you can also search the internet for study guides which can be directly downloaded or you can order for them to be mailed to you.
Make good use of all the prep materials that are with you. There is no point in collecting numerous books if you will not have the time to go through them. Collect good quality books that cover the content and study from them thoroughly. The bottom line is that prep materials are useless for clearing the test unless you study from them. Hence, utilize the prep materials to their optimum level and you are sure to pass the test with flying colours!
Terms and Conditions
Information published in TestPrepPractice.net is provided for informational and educational purpose alone for deserving students, researchers and academicians. Though our volunteers take great amount of pain and spend significant time in validating the veracity of the information or study material presented here, we cannot be held liable for any incidental mistakes. All rights reserved. No information or study material in this web site can be reproduced or transmitted in any form, without our prior consent. However the study materials and web pages can be linked from your web site or web page for
- Academic purposes
No permission is required to link any of the web page with educational information available in this web site from your web site or web page