GED Programs NYC
GED Prep Programs in NYC
GED is the only nationally recognized high school equivalent credential in the US. The five-test GED battery is quite challenging and measures your academic cognition and skills at the level of a high school program. It is a fact to be acknowledged that only 60% of the graduating high school students are found to pass the test in their first take at the test. Hence, GED preparation calls for a great extent of effort and practice, especially if you are out of touch from studies. Joining a GED program can offer you the right guidance and materials to earn the credentials.
Along with community colleges and the Adult Basic Education Centers, many state/city/country departments across the US offer GED programs. If you are in NYC, you may find an impressive number of GED preparation programs. In addition to other GED programs NYC, the New York City Department of Education offers many full-time and part-time GED programs. You might also approach Referral Centers for High School Alternatives for guidance on the best suitable program for yourself. Here is a list of three GED programs NYC.
1. Access GED
Access GED is a full-day GED program NYC intended for those interested in pursuing Learning to Work opportunities. This is an initiative of the New York City Department of Education District of Alternative Schools and Programs (District 79).
- You can work as paid apprentices or so, while preparing for your GED.
- This being a full-time program, you may need to attend classes five days or five evenings every week.
2. GED Plus
GED Plus is a full-day GED program NYC available across over 60 centers in the city, running on a hub and satellite model. Every borough in NYC has one GED Plus hub location with many satellite centers. This program is also a part of the New York City Department of Education District of Alternative Schools and Programs (District 79).
- If you wish to have options for obtaining career-related or technical skills, and at the same time prepare for getting your high school equivalent credential, GED Plus is the best program in NYC.
- In addition to providing the required academic and social support, career guidance is also provided in this GED program NYC.
- This being a full-day program, the classes are conducted five days or five evenings in a week.
3. Learning to Work GED
LTW/GED is a part-time GED program NYC by the NYC Department of Education. It is part of the New York City Department of Education District of Alternative Schools and Programs (District 79) again.
- This GED program NYC merges academic learning with job readiness.
- As it is a Learning to Work initiative, you can explore career opportunities or earn by working as an assistant/apprentice.
- This is a part-time program, providing you enough time to work and earn, while you study. You have to attend classes four days or four evenings every week.
Pointers to NYC Department of Education GED programs
For joining all the three programs listed here, you must be in the age range of 18-20 years. For those who are 17 years old, special considerations can be made, if required. All GED programs offer academic support by a community partner, counseling services, and college and career preparedness. Here is a list of the common features of the three GED programs listed above:
- Academic Support Services: Classes or tutoring are offered on required topics and areas, in addition to providing assistance in preparing for the exam.
- Counseling Services: Individual counseling is offered based on your requirements and group sessions are conducted. The counseling support helps you with achieving your personal, work-related, and academic goals and with resolving any conflicts.
- College Preparation Services: College preparation services of the programs include workshops, fairs, college tours, etc. Also, assistance is provided to work with application and financial aid forms.
- Career Development Services: Assistance to placement, resume writing, and paid assistant jobs are part of these services. In addition, a number of career workshops and training sessions are organized.
This is not a comprehensive list of GED programs NYC. There are a lot more programs available in NYC. The official GED website can provide you some pointers to GED programs in your area (http://www.acenet.edu/Content/NavigationMenu/ged/test/prep/Prepare_GED.htm). You may also contact the GED Testing Center or the GED preparation representative for your area for information on local GED programs.
Terms and Conditions
Information published in TestPrepPractice.net is provided for informational and educational purpose alone for deserving students, researchers and academicians. Though our volunteers take great amount of pain and spend significant time in validating the veracity of the information or study material presented here, we cannot be held liable for any incidental mistakes. All rights reserved. No information or study material in this web site can be reproduced or transmitted in any form, without our prior consent. However the study materials and web pages can be linked from your web site or web page for
- Academic purposes
No permission is required to link any of the web page with educational information available in this web site from your web site or web page