Points To Remember While Taking The GED From Florida
Steps for GED Certification in Florida
It was started in 1942 in an attempt to support the soldiers of World War II and allow them to pursue their education by attending college and university. The credential is considered equivalent to a high school program. By taking this test, the applicants get an opportunity to demonstrate their skills and competence corresponding to that of a high school course. The credentials are given to the participants of all the 50 states in US. It consists of a series of tests that are conducted on the following subjects:
- Social Studies
- Language Arts Reading
- Language Arts Writing ( includes essay )
The students have to take the test in the official test centers as this examination is not available online. It is conducted by states and jurisdictions, which implies that there are separate rules for each state as far as taking GED is concerned. The credential such as diploma or certificate varies by state.
GED Certification in Florida
In the state of Florida, taking the test allows the participants to earn a State of Florida High School Diploma. Let us consider the following steps that will help the students to earn a certification:
- The test can be taken by those students who are 18 years of age or above. However, age waiver is offered by local school board. The aspirants should contact the Chief Examiner to get information about how the test can be taken by them if they are below 18 years of age. The eligibility requirements keep changing from schools to districts.
- The students must furnish a copy of their residence proof. Those students who have not been able to complete their graduation are eligible to take the test.
- The students have to take the series of five tests all of which contain multiple–choice questions except the essays and alternate format questions.
- The duration of the test is 7 hours or more due to which a few test centers in Florida administer the test over a period of three days.
- This scoring system is similar to other states. The score of each section ranges from 200 to 800 and is later converted into a percentile rank of 1 to 99. The passing marks for this test are 2250.
- The students can make adequate preparation for taking this test. There are several online courses and official materials for preparation that will help them to prepare for the test.
- It is necessary to contact the officials of the testing center or the students can also take help of the online tools from official website and try to find the nearest testing center.
- Those students who have taken the test in Florida can ask for the State of Florida High School Diploma by putting a written request and a payment of $6. The transcripts are mailed to them within 7-10 days of the receipt of the request.
By taking this test, the students who have dropped out of high school, get an opportunity to earn a credential that puts them at par with regular high school students. The diploma that they earn at the end of the five test series is accepted by colleges and employers in a similar way as that of the regular high school certificates.
It paves the way for new career opportunities for those students who have left high school and helps them to realize their academic goals.