Information About The GED

GED Continued....

GED Information About Test Structure

This examination is divided into five tests. Here is some information about these tests.





In the first test, the students are tested for their knowledge of the English language. It is very important to have good information about the format of this test. This test is called the Language Arts, Writing Test. It has two parts. The first part of the Language Arts, Writing test consists of 50 questions. The questions are based on organization, structure, usage and mechanics of the English language. There are three types of questions in this section. Basically the knowledge of proper written English is tested in this section. The second part of the Language Arts, Writing test consists of one essay writing question. The essay is to be of approximately 250 words and should be completed in 45 minutes.

In the second test the students are tested for their knowledge of Social Studies. It has 50 questions and all are multiple choice questions. The content areas for this section are: History, Civics & Government, Economics and Geography.

The third test, in this set of examinations, is based on Science. There are 50 multiple choice questions in this section. The main content areas are Life Science, Earth and Space Science and Physical Science. Physical Science includes questions based on Physics and Chemistry. It is not mere knowledge of the concepts but also the understanding that is tested here. This is why it becomes necessary to collect information about each of the tests or else you will end up wasting time cramming up formulas without spending adequate time in understanding the concepts.

The fourth test is the Language Arts: Reading examination. It consists of 40 questions to be completed in approximately 65 minutes. The content areas covered in this section are literary texts and non fiction prose. There will be literary texts and prose given in this section and these will be followed by related questions.

The fifth one is the Mathematics test. There will be 50 questions to be completed in approximately 90 minutes in this section. The main content areas covered in this test are number operations and number sense, measurement and geometry, data analysis, statistics and probability, algebra, functions and patterns. Only 80% of the questions in this section are multiple choice questions, the remaining 20% are not.

Each of the five sections of the test is to be scored separately. The scores can vary from 200 to 800. For passing the test a total score of 2250 should be scored and 410 should be scored per test.

GED Information on Preparing For GED

It is equally important to collect information on how to prepare for the test. In the absence of adequate information, you will not be able to make optimum use of the time available with you for your preparation. The candidate should have complete knowledge about the set up and the syllabus of the test. It is best gather all the information before you start the preparation. Select a source of preparation which suits you. You can buy books, prepare on your own or join some coaching institution. While preparing you should try to recognize your weak points and overcome them. If desired you can also check the different web sites. You will require a lot of practice in order to get a high score. Take as many practice tests as possible for the same.

While you take the test, time management is very important. Thus you need to even practice how to manage your time so that you are able to complete the test as well as revise it on time.

Some good books available in the market are: "GED Success" by Peterson S (Author), "Cracking the GED" by Princeton Review (Author), "Mc Graw Hill's Pre GED" by Mc GrewHills GED (Author), "Master the GED" by Ronald M.Kaprov(Author) Steffi R.Kaprov(Author) and "The Best Test Preparation for the GED" by Scott Cameron.

Go to page: GED - Page 1 : GED - Page 2




Terms and Conditions


Information published in TestPrepPractice.net is provided for informational and educational purpose alone for deserving students, researchers and academicians. Though our volunteers take great amount of pain and spend significant time in validating the veracity of the information or study material presented here, we cannot be held liable for any incidental mistakes. All rights reserved. No information or study material in this web site can be reproduced or transmitted in any form, without our prior consent. However the study materials and web pages can be linked from your web site or web page for


  • Research

  • Education

  • Academic purposes

No permission is required to link any of the web page with educational information available in this web site from your web site or web page