Details of the Reading Section of COMPASS
Question Types on Reading COMPASS Test
What is the Reading COMPASS Test?
The COMPASS has three sections and Reading is one of them. It is an untimed exam where you can complete the questions at a pace that is comfortable to you. You will not have to worry about the time left for you to complete the test because there is no time limit. The test of Reading is taken in front of a computer so it is essential that you have the basic knowledge about how to operate a computer. If you do not know how to use a computer, then you will not be able to take the test because there is no paper version of the test. When you take the exam, you will find that the questions are given on one side of the screen while on the other side you will be able to see the passage. Hence, you can refer to the passage and work on the questions without going back and forth from one page to another.
COMPASS Reading Question Types
When you are taking the Reading section of COMPASS, you should keep the information given below in mind:
- You will find reading passages in this section and the questions that will be asked will be based on passages that will include:
- Practical Reading
- Natural Sciences
- Prose Fiction
- Social Sciences
- Question-types: All the questions in this section are of multiple-choice types where you will have to choose the right answer option from five options that will be given to you. The questions will be based on the passages given and you will have to read them carefully so that you can answer the questions correctly.
- Number of questions: In the Reading section, you will find around 12-15 questions included in this section. You can work on these questions at a pace that is convenient for you, without worrying about the time.
Importance of COMPASS Reading Test
The Reading test is important and you need to make
sure that you obtain a high score in this section. If you are unable to
obtain the cut-off score of the college that you wish to
join, then you may be denied admission. The higher your score, the
better it will be for you because it will increase your chances of
getting admission to the course that you wish to pursue. Given below
are the reasons for the significance of this test:
- In the COMPASS test, each section is scored separately. This means that the score of the Reading section will be shown individually because no composite score will be calculated. If your score is low, you may not be allowed to get enrolment in the course that you wish to pursue.
- Through this test, you will be able to find out whether the course that you wish to apply for will be suitable for you or not. The test will measure your skills and it will determine which courses will be best for you. If a course that you have in mind is not suitable for you, then pursing the same will only be a waste of your time because you will not be able to succeed in it. The result of this test is obtained to place you in the right course that you have the skills for.
- By taking this test, you will be able to get a good idea about your weakness and you can then take a plan of action to overcome it, if possible.
- The college will make use of the result of the exam to determine whether a particular student should be given admission into a course he wishes to pursue or not. If the test report shows that a candidate will not be able to succeed in the course, then the authorities can consider denying him enrolment into that course so as to prevent a loss of the institute’s resources.