Math COMPASS Question Types Explained
What is the Math COMPASS Test?
The math COMPASS test is an examination that will measure whether you have the skills to study a college level course or not and if you are then it will determine which math course is most suitable for you. You will find that there are five areas in which you will be tested and these are as the following:
- Numerical Skills/Pre-Algebra
- College Algebra
The questions will be asked from the topics given above, so it is important that you prepare for the test properly. You will be tested on your knowledge of the basic skills, application as well as analysis of the mathematical operations. Candidates whose ACT math score is lower than 26 or the SAT math score is lower than 620 will need to take this exam. It is possible for you to make use of a calculator during the test. You can use your own calculator if the facilitator feels that it is alright to use the same or you can make use of the online calculator that will be provided to you.
More about the Math COMPASS Test
- The registration for this test can be carried out in the campus of the college that you wish to join. You can always visit the college during the working hours to find out more information about the exam and also to register for the same.
- The math COMPASS is a computerized test. This means you will need to sit in front of the computer and use the same to answer the questions. In other words, you need to have a basic idea of how to use a computer so that you can take the test effectively.
- The math COMPASS test is an exam that consists of multiple-choice questions. For each question, there will be five answer options from which you have to choose the right option after proper calculation. It is not possible for you to go back to the questions that you have answered to change your answers.
- This exam is not timed. In other words, there is no time limit within which you have to complete all the questions. Some students can finish this exam in as little time as 15 minutes whereas there are some students who can take 2.5 hours to complete all the questions in this math test. Generally, most test takers take about 30 to 40 minutes to finish all the questions.
- All the candidates will start this exam with the Algebra test. If you perform well, you will be given tougher questions and if you do not perform well and continuously answer incorrectly the system will automatically stop your exam and this will mean that you have failed. Thus, it is important that you answer the first few questions correctly if you want to increase your chances of getting placed in a college level math course.
- Each of the test areas will contain about 12 to 15 questions that you will have to work on.
- Once the test is finished it is possible for you to get the result immediately. The outcome along with the ACT and SAT math scores will be used for the purpose of placing you in math courses in a college or University.
- The math COMPASS test is very important because it will help you find out whether you have the right skills and also whether you are prepared to study the math course that you are interested in taking up.
- Students will not be permitted to share their calculators with another student. As such, you have to bring your own calculator and make sure that the batteries have enough charge.
- To take this exam, it is important that you get in touch with the counsellor or advisor of the college that you wish to study in. He or she will direct you and tell you what you need to do.
Terms and Conditions
Information published in TestPrepPractice.net is provided for informational and educational purpose alone for deserving students, researchers and academicians. Though our volunteers take great amount of pain and spend significant time in validating the veracity of the information or study material presented here, we cannot be held liable for any incidental mistakes. All rights reserved. No information or study material in this web site can be reproduced or transmitted in any form, without our prior consent. However the study materials and web pages can be linked from your web site or web page for
- Academic purposes
No permission is required to link any of the web page with educational information available in this web site from your web site or web page