Scores on the COMPASS Math Test
What is Meant by Good, Bad and Average COMPASS Math Scores?
The COMPASS Math section is used to determine the Mathematical skills and abilities of the test takers thereby allowing them to choose the courses that they wish to study in college. Thescores do not depict whether a student has attained passing marks or failed in the test; rather they are used to find out the level of courses that can be chosen by the students in association with the advisor or the counselor in college. Thus, if a student obtains less scores, he/she will have to remain satisfied with learning support offered by the institution. On the other hand, high scores in this test indicate that a test taker will be able to study the entry level courses for Mathematics in college.
Overview of the Math Section
There are three major skills of Mathematics that are tested in COMPASS:
- Basic Skills: In this section of the test, the students have to perform a series of tasks involving basic operations of Mathematics.
- Application Skills: For this section, the students are required to apply the basic skills for performing more complex tasks.
- Analysis Skills: The students have to prove their knowledge and understanding of the concepts related to the principles and relationships in Mathematical tasks while answering the questions posed in this section.
The problems related to Mathematics placement tests pertain to the topics related to Numerical Skills/Pre Algebra, Algebra, College Algebra, Geometry and Trigonometry.
Math Scores in COMPASS and What They Mean
As far as COMPASS Math score is concerned, there is a scale or range that is devised by most of the institutions on which the performance of the students is rated. Being an assessment test, the scores obtained by the students in it are significant for determining their competence in Mathematics. However, if a student is not able to obtain the score as expected, they have the freedom for taking a retest although there is a waiting period for this, which varies for institutions. On the other hand, it is necessary to note that the results are not meant to convey the test takers that their performance is doubtful; rather the scores suggest that a test taker may either need more preparation for attaining better scores or their scores are satisfactory according to the score range of the respective college.
- Thus, a good score in the Math section implies that a student has the ability to continue college education and choose the courses that he/she wants to study in college. In other words, the students are exempted from taking up the learning courses when good scores are attained by them.
- On the other hand, a bad score indicate that a test taker may require learning and instructional support from the institution before entering the basic courses of Mathematics in college.
- The students with an average score is allowed to seek admission in entry-level courses.
What is the Math Score Parameter for Colleges?
In order to enhance the Math scores, it is necessary for the students to focus on authentic reference materials and practice tests in order to get an idea about how the real test is and the strategies that they need to know for scoring well in this test. There are Math courses pertaining to various levels that are taught to the students in college.
- For instance, in Middle Georgia College attaining a score below 37 in Algebra suggests that they have attained average scores and scoring below 27 indicates that they will require learning support in any case.
- Similarly for CBC or Columbia Basin College, the minimum Math score should be 28 for enrolling in any course on this subject.
- For Texas State University, the students must attain a score of 35 for taking up Math-based courses.
The Math scores of COMPASS measure the aptitude of the students in different levels so that the institution is able to help them in choosing appropriate courses in college that are based on this subject.
Terms and Conditions
Information published in TestPrepPractice.net is provided for informational and educational purpose alone for deserving students, researchers and academicians. Though our volunteers take great amount of pain and spend significant time in validating the veracity of the information or study material presented here, we cannot be held liable for any incidental mistakes. All rights reserved. No information or study material in this web site can be reproduced or transmitted in any form, without our prior consent. However the study materials and web pages can be linked from your web site or web page for
- Academic purposes
No permission is required to link any of the web page with educational information available in this web site from your web site or web page