COMPASS for Lone Star College
COMPASS Placement Test at Lone Star College
The COMPASS is a computer-adaptive examination, which is administered to the students for course placement in the college and university level. In short, it is a test of assessment through which the students are allowed to choose proper courses for continuing their college education. However, it is different from the conventional system of testing because passing scores are not declared for the students in it. Rather it measures the aptitude of students based on the subjects that are tested. Moreover, there is no restriction of time to be followed by the students while answering the sections of the test. However, it has been observed that the students take 3-4 hours for completing all the sections.
Sections of COMPASS
- Reading Skills: There are five types of Reading Comprehension passages that are included in the Placement Test for determining the skills of the students who are keen to join the basic courses in the college. The five types of passages are based on Practical Reading, Prose Fiction, Social Sciences, Natural Sciences and Humanities.
- Writing Skills: For joining the basic writing courses, the
students have to answer the questions that are based on two major
categories that include Usage/Mechanics and Rhetorical Skills. The
Usage/Mechanics section consists of questions on:
- Basic Grammar and usage
- Sentence Structure
The Rhetorical Skills section consists of questions on:
- Mathematics: In this section, the students have to demonstrate their Application Skills, Basic Skills and Analysis Skills in the Placement Test. The questions are based on Numerical Skills/Pre Algebra, Algebra, College Algebra, Geometry and Trigonometry.
- Essay Writing: This section includes a writing task on a familiar topic and the test takers are supposed to construct their own opinion based on this passage and substantiate them with appropriate arguments.
The COMPASS test consists of multiple-choice questions in these subjects and students are allowed to take sufficient time in order to focus on the questions, thereby enabling them to choose the correct answers.
Timings for the COMPASS
The scores of the test are declared immediately after the completion of the exam and candidates can discuss the scores with their advisors for choosing their courses. The test takers do not need to fix an appointment before taking this test although they must reach the venue within the timings that are mentioned below:
- Monday to Thursday: 8 a.m. to 4p.m.
- Friday: 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Saturday: 10a.m. to noontime
If a student is unable to obtain the required score, there is an option of retest after a waiting period of thirty days after the first exam. Before taking the COMPASS, it is necessary for the students to take adequate initiative for obtaining the required scores since it allows the institution to help them choose suitable courses for pursuing their education.
There are various practice courses, online resources and materials that are available for the purpose of preparation as far as Lone Star test for COMPASS is concerned. However, the students should be able to choose the right courses that will suit their skills and help them to achieve the desired target.
Venues of LSC COMPASS Test
The COMPASS test for the Lone Star College is held in the following places and Sunday testing is not allowed in any of these centers:
- Fairbanks Center
- Conroe Center
- Greenspoint Center
- Victory Center
- North Harris
- Assessment Center
- Instructional Testing Center
- Atascocita Center: The test in this center is available only by appointment.
- University Park
The COMPASS presents an excellent opportunity for the students to consider placement in this college for continuing their education. By taking this test, each student is able to prove his/her skills in the subjects that they are keen to study in the college or university.