English COMPASS Test Study Guide
Official COMPASS Reference Materials for COMPASS English
The COMPASS English test is an assessment exam that allows the students to pursue English courses in college. The scores of this test are analyzed and evaluated by the admission authorities of appropriate colleges so that better opportunities for career can be availed by the students while seeking a field of education that is suitable for a candidate. However, for achieving the desired target, it is important for a test taker to focus on an English COMPASS test study guide.
The COMPASS English test is only a measurement of the English skills of a candidate although it is essential for each test taker to consult an English COMPASS test study guide to hone the skills in this language before he/she is able to achieve the scores that are required for studying the entry-level courses in the college.
The Sections of COMPASS English Test
As far as the COMPASS English test is concerned, the following sections are included in this exam:
- Reading Skills: The Reading Placement Test consists of five comprehension passages that are based on Practical Reading, Prose Fiction, Humanities, Natural Sciences, Humanities and Social Sciences. This test allows the students to study the entry-level or basic courses in college.
- Writing Skills: The Writing Skills section of COMPASS test is meant to test the skills of writing of an individual on the basis of the scores that he/she has achieved in this test through an essay in which they are supposed to locate the errors. The test is further disintegrated into the following two areas on the basis of which the skills of a test taker are determined:
- In Usage/Mechanics, the questions are based on Basic Grammar and Usage, Punctuation and Sentence Structure.
- In Rhetorical Skills, the questions are related to Strategy, Organization and Style.
- Essay Writing: This is another section of the English test in which the test takers are presented with an English writing task and they are instructed to form their opinions based on that task, followed by supportive arguments. The arguments and opinions must be presented with lucid expressions so that those can be interpreted easily and are concentrated on the requirements of a specific section of the audience.
- English as a Second Language: This is another section of COMPASS English Test, which is meant to assess the skills of the language of non-native speakers through Listening, Reading and Grammar/Usage.
The Official Study Materials for COMPASS Test
Thus, English is one of the primary aspects of COMPASS test for which an English COMPASS test study guide plays a very important role. The next set of points will sum up the official reference materials for English COMPASS test, which is an authentic mode of preparation for the COMPASS test:
- For Reading section of English COMPASS test, the official English COMPASS test study guide includes the materials that are to be downloaded from the internet. For more information, the students must log on to http://www.act.org/compass/sample/pdf/reading.pdf .
- The official English COMPASS test study guide for Writing section of COMPASS includes http://www.act.org/compass/sample/pdf/writing.pdf that is downloadable from the internet.
- The official reference material for English as a Second Language is available in
http://www.act.org/compass/tests/esl/listening1.html for Listening task,
http://www.act.org/compass/tests/esl/reading1.html for Reading Task and
http://www.act.org/compass/tests/esl/grammar1.html for Grammar/Usage.
Review of Books for COMPASS English Test
While an official English COMPASS test study guide provides access to the sample questions for taking this test, the test takers can also consult these books for similar purposes:
- COMPASS Writing Test Success: This book by Academic Success media contains practice questions that are of utmost importance for the students taking COMPASS who are keen to pursue courses that are based on English writing skills.
- COMPASS Reading Test Success: This is another book by Academic Success Media that must also be considered by the students for practice work on reading section of COMPASS.
- COMPASS Exam Practice Questions: This book has been compiled by COMPASS Exam Secrets Prep Team and consists of everything that a student needs while preparing for this assessment test.
COMPASS English test study guide offers a preview to the students who intend to take this test for pursuing their college studies by choosing those subjects that they wish to study. The study guides have been prepared keeping the best interest of the student for taking and achieving success in the COMPASS test.
Terms and Conditions
Information published in TestPrepPractice.net is provided for informational and educational purpose alone for deserving students, researchers and academicians. Though our volunteers take great amount of pain and spend significant time in validating the veracity of the information or study material presented here, we cannot be held liable for any incidental mistakes. All rights reserved. No information or study material in this web site can be reproduced or transmitted in any form, without our prior consent. However the study materials and web pages can be linked from your web site or web page for
- Academic purposes
No permission is required to link any of the web page with educational information available in this web site from your web site or web page