Details About the CUNY and COMPASS Assessment Tests
Significance of COMPASS Test for CUNY Admission/Placement
What is CUNY COMPASS?
The COMPASS Test for the City University of New York or CUNY is an examination that is taken by students who wish to gain admission into one of the courses in this University. If you are thinking about studying a course in this university, then it is important for you to know that your enrolment will depend on how well you perform in this test. The higher your score is, the better your chances of getting admission. Generally, colleges offer this test to students during the orientation period, normally during the months of August to November. It has been found that majority of the test takers take this exam in the month of October.
An important thing you need to know is that there is no time limit within which you are required to finish the test. You can work on the questions and complete the exam at a pace that is convenient for you. You do not have to worry about not being able to finish the examination on time.
Importance of COMPASS Test
This test is important if you wish to study in CUNY. Given below are the reasons why you should study well for the examination and obtain a high score:
- Benefit to the university: The University will make use of this exam to determine which students to accept for the courses that they are offering. Through this exam, they will be able to prevent the selection of those students who do not have the skills required to study the course that they are interested in. As such, wastage of college resources is prevented.
- Admission of student: The COMPASS testing for CUNY is important for a student too because it helps him/her to get admission into the course that he/she wishes to pursue in the university. The higher he scores the more chances he will have to get enrolled in the college.
- Measuring of skills of the student: The examination will assess whether the student has the skills to pursue a particular course. If they do not have the skills then it will be better for them to consider a course that they will be better suited for. This way, the candidate will not be wasting his time pursuing a course that he will not be able to find success in. He can then consider another course that he has the skills for. This way, he will be placed in the right course.
- Preparatory classes: The score of this exam will determine whether or not the student will need to take preparatory classes. If the score of the student is high, then he can skip this kind of class but if it is not, then he will have to join this class.
More about the COMPASS
- The COMPASS is an exam where all the sections consist of multiple-choice questions. There will be five answer options to each of the questions and you have to choose the one that you feel is the correct option.
- There are three sections in the test for CUNY and these are: Reading, Writing and Maths.. Each of these sections is scored individually and you will find that the score report mentions the scores separately for each of the sections. There is no composite score for the exam.
- Since there is no time limit to finish the test, the candidate can take his own time to complete all the questions; generally, most test takers can finish the exam in 2.5 hours.
- This is a computerized exam, where you will have to sit in front of the computer and take the test. As such, you need to ensure that you know how to operate a computer because if you do not have knowledge on this, you will not be able to take this test.
- There is no passing score in this exam. Depending on the course that you are interested in pursuing, the college may have a cut-off score and you should make sure that you have scored more than this to increase your chances of getting admission.