Guide Books for the COMPASS Test
5 Features of a Good COMPASS Test Study Guide
COMPASS may not be a competitive test that determines your eligibility for college admission; but its scores play an important role in helping colleges place you according to your academic levels and abilities. Thus, being an important part of the placement process at many educational institutions across the country, college aspirants need to prepare well for this test and try to score good. The test prep options are available in abundance, getting a good book is not difficult.
Preparing for the Test
COMPASS preparation may not be very time consuming or challenging, especially if you understand the test and its purpose well in advance. However, you need to have a clear idea of what it is, what the different sections included in it are, the duration of the test, and what types of questions are included. In addition, it is also important that you comprehend the evaluative and non-competitive nature of the test well in advance.
The best place to start your preparation, thus, is the official website (http://www.act.org/products/higher-education-act-compass/). All important information can be found here, including some sample questions. At the same time, you must not forget that as each institute or college can have different testing and minimum score requirements for placement. It is also important that you learn about any specific testing and score requirements of the institute you are applying to.
Choosing the Best Test Prep Book
For the test preparation, there are plenty of packages, programs, and titles available these days. Here is a list of five important and must-have features in a good guide. These may act as pointers that can help you choose the best book:
- The book should fit your bill in terms of content and presentation: Not every test taker has the same needs while preparing for the COMPASS. Depending on your area of study, and the kind of help you need - whether comprehensive test help or help in specific areas like for taking practice tests - you need to choose your guide accordingly. For example, the title, COMPASS Exam - Bob Miller's Math Prep may be a popular choice for many, but it may not suit your specific needs if you are not taking up Math at college.
- The book should help you in understanding the test: You may or may not have access to many other information sources that help you in understanding about the test. However, good study option should essentially have all the overview information about the test in a nutshell, so that you do not miss any critical aspect of the test details.
- Authenticity and accuracy: Authenticity of the materials and accuracy of the information provided are essential while choosing any prep book. Likewise important are the author's expertise and experience, and the publisher's credibility for publishing a good book. For instance, a title from a reputed publisher may be preferred by many over one that is from a relatively novice publisher.
- Pre-tests and practice questions: Taking a pre-test is one of the best ways to learn about your skills and shortcomings, while preparing for any test. Plus, taking practice tests during the preparation helps you keep a tab of your progress. When choosing a prep book, you may, therefore, look for those including practice tests with answer keys.
- Price factor: Your preparation needs are definitely important. However, a book that you choose to help you in your test preparation should also be affordable to you. With a lot of free and downloadable materials around, competitive pricing is an important and essential feature for anyguide.
COMPASS Guide Book Reviews
Now that you have seen some essential features of good prep books, you can choose a couple of good ones for your preparation. Listed here are three of the popular titles:
- COMPASS Exam Success: The Easy Breezy Guide to Help COMPASS Test Takers is a comprehensive resource for test preparation. Considered an insider's guide to the exam and presented in a very easy-to-comprehend manner, this book covers all the important areas of the exam. It also covers general strategies and overview information for the test. More information about this book is available at: http://www.amazon.com/COMPASS-Exam-Success-Breezy-ebook/dp/B004WKPFJ0/ref=pd_sim_kstore_2
- COMPASS Exam - Bob Miller's Math Prep (http://www.amazon.com/COMPASS-Exam-Millers-Accuplacer-Preparation/dp/073861002X) is yet another popular resource for test preparation. Focusing on the Math test, this is also a comprehensive study guide with extensive coverage. Two practice tests along with examples and drills with answer keys are provided in this book for each of the Math areas tested. Special tips from the author, an experienced Math teacher, is the special feature of this competitively priced guide book.
- COMPASS Exam Practice Questions (First Set): Practice Test & Review for the Computer Adaptive Placement Assessment and Support System by Mometrix Media is a title that focuses more on the practice aspect of the test preparation. Detailed answer keys are provided for each practice question provided in this guide book. You can find more information about this at: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/compass-exam-practice-questions-compass-exam-secrets-test-prep-team/1101064437.
Conclusively, it must be noted this is not an exhaustive review of all popular study guides for COMPASS test preparation. You may find more reviews at local bookstores, libraries, and online, as well. However, when you choose a study book for COMPASS, make sure you are getting the one that best suits your needs.
Terms and Conditions
Information published in TestPrepPractice.net is provided for informational and educational purpose alone for deserving students, researchers and academicians. Though our volunteers take great amount of pain and spend significant time in validating the veracity of the information or study material presented here, we cannot be held liable for any incidental mistakes. All rights reserved. No information or study material in this web site can be reproduced or transmitted in any form, without our prior consent. However the study materials and web pages can be linked from your web site or web page for
- Academic purposes
No permission is required to link any of the web page with educational information available in this web site from your web site or web page