Expectations from the COMPASS Reading Section
What to Expect in COMPASS Test Reading
Reading Section of COMPASS
The COMPASS is an examination where you will find three sections and these are Reading, Writing and Maths. Since this article is about the Reading section, we will concentrate on this section only. The Reading section is one where the test taker will have to sit in front of the computer and answer the questions. This is a computerized version and there is no pen and paper version available for this exam. If you do not know how to use a computer, then you will not be able to take the test. To register for this examination, you will have to get in touch with the counsellor or the advisor of the college that you wish to take admission in. He or she will tell you details about the test and will also schedule a date on which you can take the examination. If you have already taken the test but you were not able to score high, you can consider taking a retest. You will be able to find out more information about taking a retest when you get in touch with the college counsellor.
Things to Expect in COMPASS Reading Section
The following points provide more information about the Reading section:
- It is important for you to be aware that this exam is an untimed test. This means that you can work on the section without worrying about how much time you are left with. If you are wondering how long does it generally take to finish one section, then you should know that most people take about 15 to 90 minutes to complete the Reading test.
- The questions that you will find are all multiple-choice questions. Each question will have five answer options and from these alternatives, you need to pick an answer that you believe is the right solution. Even if you are not sure about the answer, you should choose the option that you think will be the correct option. This is because there is no negative marking for incorrect answers.
- There will be five reading passages in this test and these will consist of Natural Sciences, Social Sciences, Humanities, Prose Fiction and Practical Reading.
- The section will be scored individually and you will find that the scores of each of the three test sections are shown on the test report separately. No composite score will be calculated for the various sections of the test.
Importance of the COMPASS Reading Test
There are many reasons why the Reading section is considered to be vital. Given below are some of them:
- For the purpose of admission for college level courses: The main reason why this test is used is because the result will determine whether a particular candidate has the skills required to succeed in regular college level courses. If his result is not good, he may be denied admission but if it is good then he will be able to pursue the course that he has in mind.
- Help to the college: The Reading scores also help the college determine whether a particular test taker should be accepted for the course that he has chosen. If he does not have the skills, then the college will reject his application because accepting him will not be feasible; as it will only lead to the wastage of college resources.
- Determine the weaknesses of the candidate: This test will also help in assessing the test taker and determining what his weaknesses are. Once this is known, the candidate can then take necessary actions to improve. For instance, if he wishes to apply for an English course in a college and his Reading score is not high, he can consider taking a prep course so that he will be able to prepare for the college level course.
Terms and Conditions
Information published in TestPrepPractice.net is provided for informational and educational purpose alone for deserving students, researchers and academicians. Though our volunteers take great amount of pain and spend significant time in validating the veracity of the information or study material presented here, we cannot be held liable for any incidental mistakes. All rights reserved. No information or study material in this web site can be reproduced or transmitted in any form, without our prior consent. However the study materials and web pages can be linked from your web site or web page for
- Academic purposes
No permission is required to link any of the web page with educational information available in this web site from your web site or web page