Mathematics for the COMPASS Test
5 Things you Need to Know about COMPASS Math Test
The COMPASS test is administered for the students in order to determine their college readiness and the scores are utilized by institutions to help them in choosing the courses that are suitable for them. Therefore, there is no concept of passing scores in the test; rather the scores are analyzed by the students in association with the advisors and counselors of the institutions for choosing appropriate courses that will allow the candidates to pursue their college education.
The Sections of COMPASS Test
The subjects that are tested include:
- Reading Skills
- Writing Skills
- Essay Writing
- English as a Second language
Overview of COMPASS Math Test
This is a discursive section consisting of the following features:
- In the Math section, the students have to prove three major skills that are used for performing mathematical tasks.
- The three skills that are required by the students include Basic Skills, Application Skills and Analytical Skills.
- While the Basic Skills are required to perform a series of basic mathematical tasks, the Application Skills are those in which the basic knowledge of mathematics is employed for performing complex tasks. For Analysis Skills, the test takers need to prove their knowledge of the concepts of the principles and relationships in mathematical tasks.
- The contents include Numerical Skills/Pre Algebra, Algebra, College Algebra, Geometry and Trigonometry. These topics are included in the Placement Test.
- In the Diagnostic section of Math, there are fifteen tests out of which seven are in Pre Algebra and eight in Algebra.
- There is no specific duration for the section, thereby enabling the participants to focus on each section of the test in details.
- The questions that are asked in this section are of multiple-choice type.
- Obtaining good scores in Math section provides an opportunity to the students to choose the entry level courses in Math; whereas obtaining low scores in this subject indicates that a student requires support through developmental courses before continuing with college education in Math based courses.
5 Important Things to Remember about the COMPASS Math Test
While the above-mentioned points conceptualize the features of the Math section, there are five things that each test taker should know before taking the exam:
- The scores from the Math test describe the strength or weakness of the students. However, there are no set scores to denote a pass or fail, but the scores are simply a measure of the competence of the students in mathematics.
- The test takers are allowed to carry calculators that are approved by the institutions administering the test. However, they can also use the online calculators that are available for them.
- Being an expansive section of the exam, each participant should focus on authentic and reliable sources of study materials. The official test materials of Mathematics are based on each topic of this section and the students must explore them in detail.
- For the Math section of the exam, the ideal way of preparation is to focus on a series of practice tests from different sources in order to gain more confidence for the final day of the test. However, it is necessary to judge the material or the practice tests particularly if you are paying for them.
- The test takers should try to answer every question of Math test as there are no negative points for guessing even if the answer is wrong. Additionally, the attempt to answer every question secures a better opportunity of placement for the students in the test.
The Math section serves as an opportunity for every student to pursue their studies in the courses that are based on Mathematics. However, the students must understand this test section in detail and follow certain guidelines for the fulfillment of their academic scores.
Terms and Conditions
Information published in TestPrepPractice.net is provided for informational and educational purpose alone for deserving students, researchers and academicians. Though our volunteers take great amount of pain and spend significant time in validating the veracity of the information or study material presented here, we cannot be held liable for any incidental mistakes. All rights reserved. No information or study material in this web site can be reproduced or transmitted in any form, without our prior consent. However the study materials and web pages can be linked from your web site or web page for
- Academic purposes
No permission is required to link any of the web page with educational information available in this web site from your web site or web page