COMPASS Test Math Study Guide
5 points to remember when you select a COMPASS math guide
The selection of a COMPASS test math study guide is crucial when preparing for the COMPASS test using a study guide. This is because the emphasis on solving and practicing is more when it comes to subjects such as math. The more you practice, the better you get. And therefore the more relevant questions you practice answering, the better will be your score. Consider also that math is an exact science. If you deviate even a bit from the main flow, you are bound to get to the wrong conclusion/answer.
Here's a list of 5 points to remember when you select a COMPASS test math study guide:
- Choose a guide that offers tips as you go along in every chapter: Reading all the tips and hints at one go will not be your best bet, at least not in the math section. Look for a COMPASS Test Math Study Guide that reminds you of easier solutions, quick formulations and offers tips and advice for each chapter. Look for a guide that has sample answers that are detailed, and then a practice set based on those kinds of questions. This will ensure mastery in solving the questions in the best way possible.
- Choose a guide that is published by a good publishing house: It is important to select a good publisher, because if the answer key is wrongly published, the time that is wasted is unaccounted for. Looking for the right answer, when you have already found it, is a time waster.
- Select a guide that offers cheat sheets: A cheat sheet is a list of formulas specific to a chapter or section. Selecting a COMPASS test math study guide that offers cheat sheets, either for each chapter, or for the entire math section will enable you to perform a quick revision before the actual test. If not this, it is also an excellent way to summarize your studies in each chapter, and provides for quick reference.
- Choose guides that offer references: Mostly overlooked, the idea behind this suggestion is that in case you are not satisfied with the explanations provided in the guide, or if you decide to strengthen a particular area, you can always jump to the nearest library and pick up information from a reference book. If the reference book to look for is already specified in the COMPASS test math study guide, you save the time to search through numerous books to find the relevant one.
- Pick a guide that offers at least 30 practice questions per section: A good thumb rule is to practice a minimum of 30 questions for each chapter in math. It doesn't matter if you know the subject at the back of your hand. There are always some tricky questions on every chapter. The key to answering such questions is practice.
To help you get these 5 selections right, here's a review of some guides available in the market:
- A Guide to Conquering the COMPASS Mathematics Placement Test:
This is a book that is dedicated for the COMPASS test. Needless to say, it is focussed and explains concepts in a way that the student can grasp quickly. This is useful when you want to master a subject but want a brief familiar topic first before you dive deeper into practice.
- McGraw-Hill's Conquering ACT Math:
This book is known for providing techniques that provide a smarter and quicker way to solve math questions. It has credible authors who are trainers in the subject. Thus, it has an element of experience in it, which makes it closer to the student's level of understanding.
Finally, no matter how expensive the COMPASS test math study guide is, the best way to treat the math section is to practice as much as possible. In the absence of sustained and continuous practice, no amount of explanation in guides can help. So buy a guide that is more of a workbook, and less of a reference book. All the best for your search, and for your exams!
Terms and Conditions
Information published in TestPrepPractice.net is provided for informational and educational purpose alone for deserving students, researchers and academicians. Though our volunteers take great amount of pain and spend significant time in validating the veracity of the information or study material presented here, we cannot be held liable for any incidental mistakes. All rights reserved. No information or study material in this web site can be reproduced or transmitted in any form, without our prior consent. However the study materials and web pages can be linked from your web site or web page for
- Academic purposes
No permission is required to link any of the web page with educational information available in this web site from your web site or web page