COMPASS Test Guide
How to Select a COMPASS Test Guide
Though there is no pass or fail criteria in COMPASS testing, the COMPASS is a critically important part in the placement process at many educational institutions across the country. Preparing for the COMPASS test, thus, becomes an inevitable aspect of your college preparation. If preparing for COMPASS, here are some pointers that can definitely help you in the process. Also, listed here are a few tips to choose a COMPASS test guide that suits your needs.
Preparing for the ACT COMPASS Test
The first and foremost step in your COMPASS test preparation, as in the case of any other test, would be to learn all the important aspects of the test. You need to have a clear idea of what COMPASS testing is, what different tests are included in it, what the test duration is, and what types of questions are included in it. On the whole, it is vital that you comprehend the evaluative, diagnostic, and non-competitive nature of the test.
The best place to start your COMPASS preparation, thus, would be the official ACT COMPASS website (http://www.act.org/products/higher-education-act-compass/). As each test conducting institution can administer a different test package, and have different testing and minimum score requirements for placement, you should also learn about any institution-specific testing and scoring requirements of your college/institute.
While preparing for the test, you need to also understand about the two unique aspects of this testing:
- The COMPASS tests are not timed. Test takers are provided with ample time to think, clarify, and arrive at their answers, and thus one is under no hurry to finish the test. Each candidate may finish the test at his/her own pace, on the test day.
- There are no pass or fail criteria for COMPASS tests. Individual institutions may choose the components of their test packages, as per their course requirements; and may have different minimum scoring requirements for placement into particular programs. However, there are no passing scores for the COMPASS test. All scores are accepted, as an indication of the abilities of the test takers, and accordingly areas for improvement for each of them are also pinned down.
Resources for Test Preparation
Various kinds of sources are available for COMPASS test preparation, these days. These include:
- Books, study guides, and review materials
- Pre-tests and practice tests
- Online, electronic, and downloadable materials including books, guides, review materials, pre-tests and practice questions
- Professional programs
The official test website and the website of the institution where you are applying, are the two other important resources you cannot miss out. In addition to providing useful information on their website, many test administering institutions also conduct prep programs for COMPASS test preparation.
With the variety and the multitude of materials available for preparation, choosing the right COMPASS test guide can be a difficult task. Here go some pointers that can help you choose a good COMPASS test guide for yourself.
Choosing a COMPASS Test Guide
Listed below are five important must-have features that you should look for while choosing a COMPASS test guide:
- Subjects covered: As you already know, all test takers do not have the same needs for COMPASS test preparation. Therefore, depending on your subject area of study and the kind of help you need -comprehensive preparation help or help in only specific areas like for taking practice questions – you need to choose your COMPASS test guide. For example, a popular title like COMPASS Exam - Bob Miller's Math Prep may not be useful to you if you are not taking up Math at college.
- Authenticity and accuracy: Subjects covered in the study guide is a very important aspect; so are the authenticity and accuracy of the information provided in the COMPASS test guide. This includes stuff like the publisher's credibility and popularity, and the author’s expertise and experience in the subject domain.
- Test overview: As a test aspirant, it is essential that you have a clear understanding about the important test aspects. A good COMPASS test guide should present all the required information about the test in a nutshell, so that you do not miss any vital point.
- Tests and practice questions: Taking a pre-test is one of the best ways to start any test preparation. A pre-test is a blue-print of your abilities, skills, and shortcomings, if any. Practice tests on the other hand, helps you keep a tab on your progress and familiarize you with the test pattern. When choosing a COMPASS study guide, therefore, choose a book that includes at least one pre-test and plenty of practice questions.
- Price of the title and accessibility: The title that you choose to help you in your test preparation should be affordable to your pockets. You may also find many free and downloadable materials these days. Therefore, you need to choose a title that is viable and worth the money that you spend. Accessibility is yet another feature you should look for while choosing a COMPASS test guide. This includes considering any special needs that you may have, and also the availability of the title with a friend or at a public library nearby.
You may use these pointers while choosing a guide for COMASS preparation. Whichever prep guide you choose, however, the vital point is that you prepare yourself well for the test according to your specific needs.
Terms and Conditions
Information published in TestPrepPractice.net is provided for informational and educational purpose alone for deserving students, researchers and academicians. Though our volunteers take great amount of pain and spend significant time in validating the veracity of the information or study material presented here, we cannot be held liable for any incidental mistakes. All rights reserved. No information or study material in this web site can be reproduced or transmitted in any form, without our prior consent. However the study materials and web pages can be linked from your web site or web page for
- Academic purposes
No permission is required to link any of the web page with educational information available in this web site from your web site or web page